b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Fishing Discussion
 Antique Fishing Gear
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

23Sailfish
Prolific Poster

17452 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  12:33:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit 23Sailfish's Homepage Send 23Sailfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I just picked up a cool old offshore setup. FourBrothers brass reel on an old bamboo two piece rod. Best I can gather is that its from the late thirties to early forties.

Not worth much for fishing, but it'll look cool on the wall in the man room.

Anyone else collect vintage fishing stuff?

www.baturinphotography.com

PeaPod

4109 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  1:26:19 PM  Show Profile Send PeaPod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
without pix...
Go to Top of Page

Bonzo72
Prolific Poster

12224 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  2:00:11 PM  Show Profile Send Bonzo72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
squalus is a collector of the old stuff...

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org
Go to Top of Page

penfishn
Prolific Poster

12695 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  6:24:01 PM  Show Profile Send penfishn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I collect old fishing lures........really

Saw bonzo at the dock one day...thought he knew that and had brought me some stuff to add to my collection...but as I walked way he yelled..."hey....where you going with my good tackle?? " hahahaha...just kidding...but I do collect old fishing stuff...have a couple really old reels and a metal rod too.

miss'n fish'n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16
Go to Top of Page

Big Wes

1836 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  9:46:05 PM  Show Profile Send Big Wes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got some old Penns, a couple of bamboo rds, and some lures. I have a value book upstairs.

The more we just complain...the more things stay the same.
Go to Top of Page

penfishn
Prolific Poster

12695 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  03:44:20 AM  Show Profile Send penfishn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Donnie has a "old Penn" too big wes...dont know it has much value though lol

miss'n fish'n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16
Go to Top of Page

cappy46
Intermediate Member

54 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  07:45:43 AM  Show Profile Send cappy46 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use to collect old gear. I had a pretty good collecton until it was stolen several years ago. I had the old bamboo rods with the double set of guides, several square metal rods, Ocean city reels with the side drop freespool lever, Penn reels with the leather thumb drag, and a Mitchell 300 with a half bail plus assorted lures. I wish I had them back, most belonged to my father and grandfather.

Ken
Go to Top of Page

PeaPod

4109 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  6:01:12 PM  Show Profile Send PeaPod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and still no pictures
Go to Top of Page

Big Wes

1836 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  9:02:20 PM  Show Profile Send Big Wes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by penfishn

Donnie has a "old Penn" too big wes...dont know it has much value though lol

miss'n fish'n

212 SEAHUNT CC
Sea Squirt 16

Probably priceless is what I think.

The more we just complain...the more things stay the same.
Go to Top of Page

stonoman
Prolific Poster

12844 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2012 :  06:14:18 AM  Show Profile Send stonoman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
U can pick up old stuff at garage sales.I have a pfluger rocket I think 2 of them.I used one as a kid in 1946.

Stonoman
Go to Top of Page

23Sailfish
Prolific Poster

17452 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2012 :  08:47:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit 23Sailfish's Homepage Send 23Sailfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

and still no pictures

An old flyreel I picked up recently...I was told it was for salmon. No markings on it that I can find, not sure of the manufacturer. No idea how old, but everything works well.

A little offshore setup, Four Brothers Reel on a two piece bamboo rod. Four Brothers was prior to the start of Pfleuger. Has some incorrect hardware on it, but everything works. Clicker is nice and loud. Best guess is 30s to 40s, but that's just a guess. Haven't been able to find too much....maybe big Wes can help me out.

Edited by - 23Sailfish on 04/24/2012 08:53:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

wearthefishes

613 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2012 :  10:41:12 AM  Show Profile Send wearthefishes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rod might be a Horrocks-Ibbotson.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2h7gi/fishnbanjossliceoflifeincyberspacecopy/id22.html
Go to Top of Page

23Sailfish
Prolific Poster

17452 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2012 :  1:05:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit 23Sailfish's Homepage Send 23Sailfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to that website, "In 1934, a double-diamond logo including the banner reading Best by Test was introduced and was used until 1939."

So, I guess the rod is somewhere between 34 and 39.

Thanks!!

Go to Top of Page

DFreedom

8688 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2012 :  1:40:39 PM  Show Profile Send DFreedom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is some cool stuff. I have a couple of old reels that belonged to my Granddad, Shakespeare I think. I'll dig them out and shoot a couple of pics. I really like that fly reel.
Go to Top of Page

23Sailfish
Prolific Poster

17452 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2012 :  08:02:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit 23Sailfish's Homepage Send 23Sailfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen several of those wooden fly reels that are in better shape that have been sanded and restored, but I like the way they look when they haven't been retouched at all. The old brass stuff is cool too. That's a giant fly reel too. It's actually bigger than the 12wt Nautilus reel I have.

Go to Top of Page

DoubleN

1788 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2012 :  8:11:10 PM  Show Profile Send DoubleN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about this old buzzbait from 1935. One of a few lures my dad passed on to me.

06 200 Bay Scout 150 Yam

www.joinrfa.org/
Go to Top of Page

Hurricane701

2318 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2012 :  10:17:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hurricane701's Homepage Send Hurricane701 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
d@mn it 23m, you were the one that outbid me on that auction haha

Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,
goes home through the alley.
-Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

23Sailfish
Prolific Poster

17452 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2012 :  12:05:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit 23Sailfish's Homepage Send 23Sailfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, can't tell what I'm getting on ebay....I only buy local stuff.

Go to Top of Page

greydog

31 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2012 :  12:49:41 PM  Show Profile Send greydog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are a few of the lures i inherited from my grandfather. I have some of them in a display box on the wall in honor of him.

Go to Top of Page

23Sailfish
Prolific Poster

17452 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  12:19:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit 23Sailfish's Homepage Send 23Sailfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bump for dragonslayer

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

Go to Top of Page

Optiker

3902 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  5:06:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Optiker's Homepage Send Optiker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool stuff

Personal Trout Slot Limit: 16"-20" Creel: 2
Go to Top of Page

Dragonslayer

869 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  10:04:29 PM  Show Profile Send Dragonslayer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very cool stuff.
This was my Grandfather's. It's a Montague Dreadnought from around 1940. Two guides in the middle and a round one on the end. When the pole started to warp in one direction you'd string your line through the opposite guide and fish that way for a while to straighten the pole back up! Very ingenious!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
Go to Top of Page

TRTim
Intermediate Member

111 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2014 :  3:40:17 PM  Show Profile Send TRTim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragonslayer, I have the same rod by Montague, with an Ocean City "German Silver" reel. I got it from my father in law. When my brother in law saw the Montague he said "I remember cleaning out our grandfathers beach house garage, there were several of those bamboo rods but we only kept that one." My f-I-l told me the rods would take a set after trolling for blues all day. I think the rods were made with Calcutta bamboo.
Go to Top of Page

dirty white boy
Intermediate Member

98 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  10:59:07 AM  Show Profile Send dirty white boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you told us that it's an antique, I guess I should quit using mine.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000