b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Shrimping
 baitbinder
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tigerfin

1736 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2013 :  6:34:30 PM  Show Profile Send tigerfin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone seen any this year? Ive been keeping my eyes open for it, but none yet. Is it still too early?

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

OccamsRaiser

379 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2013 :  9:45:54 PM  Show Profile Send OccamsRaiser a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Saw it at west marine today.
Go to Top of Page

Bonzo72
Prolific Poster

12307 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2013 :  3:44:03 PM  Show Profile Send Bonzo72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
dgasque monitors this forum...I'm sure he'll be along soon...can't wait to Bait Binder 'em up this season!

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org
Go to Top of Page

dgasque
Intermediate Member

142 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2013 :  8:48:22 PM  Show Profile Send dgasque a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We are in the process of generating and filling initial orders. Thus far, we have stocked East Coast Sports (Surf City, NC), West Marine (Rivers Ave), West Marine (Savannah Hwy), & Sportsmans Warehouse (Columbia). All of your favorite locations should be locked and loaded by 8/25. Thanks for your continued support. Happy Shrimping!
Go to Top of Page

tigerfin

1736 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2013 :  8:49:47 PM  Show Profile Send tigerfin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, ill run by sportsmans warehouse and pick up a bag next week.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki
Go to Top of Page

dgasque
Intermediate Member

142 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2013 :  9:49:30 PM  Show Profile Send dgasque a Private Message  Reply with Quote
~Just a reminder: Try to avoid baiting excessively when using Bait Binder. Use two hockey puck sized balls per pole. Any more and you will be feeding the shrimp for many hours after you finish shrimping. If the shrimp are there, two balls per stiff pole is all you need.
~Boulineau's (N. Myrtle), West Marine (N. Myrtle), Charleston Angler (all), Lake Murray Hardware (Ballentine), and West Marine (Columbia) have received deliveries. Pawleys Island Outdoors and Charleston Marine also have product. All of your favorite locations will be stocked by August 31.
~Thanks to SC Sportsman for an excellent ad (page 11).
~Happy Shrimping!

Edited by - dgasque on 08/17/2013 9:55:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

COOLBREEZE

2029 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2013 :  1:19:54 PM  Show Profile Send COOLBREEZE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have always been told that two balls around a stiff pole is all you need. sorry but it was out there and i had to throw it out. ha ha
Go to Top of Page

Small Net

11 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  12:14:53 PM  Show Profile Send Small Net a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always used clay and fish meal to make bait. What is baitbinder and how does it perform compared to clay/fish meal?
Go to Top of Page

justcr

442 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  1:27:09 PM  Show Profile Send justcr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Small Net...Baitbinder is a cleaner, easier bait to use. We've had as good or better luck with it as fish meal/clay mix. I like that I can mix it up easily on the way out as opposed to sitting round the campfire before leaving the dock. Washes off your hands easier and doesn't smell as strong. We tried it a couple years ago and won't go back to fish meal.As far as cost, I believe a large bag is 24.99 pretty much everywhere and it goes a long way. Try it and see. I have other buddys that do the clay/dog food clay/fish meal mixes and I see no large differences in any of them.IMHO my 2 cents
Go to Top of Page

tigerfin

1736 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  1:45:53 PM  Show Profile Send tigerfin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It lasts longer than clay/fish meal does. I was still pulling up bait balls 5 hours later that looked almost the same size as when I threw them in. It is much cleaner and less expensive as well. I'll never go back.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki
Go to Top of Page

yakman72

2367 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  6:51:22 PM  Show Profile Send yakman72 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haddrells point!

14' Skiff-"Redfish Reaper"
Go to Top of Page

cramsey
Intermediate Member

95 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  07:36:25 AM  Show Profile Send cramsey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Charleston Marine.

Fishing is the chance to wash one's soul with pure air.
Go to Top of Page

Coastal Fishing

19 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2013 :  12:44:39 PM  Show Profile Send Coastal Fishing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About how many balls can you make out of a 12lb bag?

Coastal Fishing
Go to Top of Page

justcr

442 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2013 :  3:20:24 PM  Show Profile Send justcr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Roughly 60 per bag...We make 2 per pole and it lasts 3 trips, and we make them about the size of a tuna can.
Go to Top of Page

coasttal
Intermediate Member

114 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2013 :  4:41:54 PM  Show Profile Send coasttal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does this stuff last from year to year?

01 Hewes Redfisher, 90 Yam 2 Strk
Go to Top of Page

tigerfin

1736 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2013 :  4:48:15 PM  Show Profile Send tigerfin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I have a small amount from last year that I plan on using this year.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki
Go to Top of Page

DFreedom

9095 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  11:39:26 AM  Show Profile Send DFreedom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Smell it. If it still smells like fish, it should be okay. I had some a couple of years ago that "turned", it smelled kind of like ammonia. I don't imagine that would have attracted many shrimp.

"Apathy is the Glove in Which Evil Slips It's Hand".
Go to Top of Page

creekgirl
Intermediate Member

96 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  08:17:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit creekgirl's Homepage Send creekgirl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DFreedom,
That batch a few years ago got 2 families very sick...the mother and son went to ER due to swelling of face and hands..she ate shrimp for years NO allergies.. ate a older batch no problem...they opened the raw shrimp and they smelled like amonia...and they were iced down after caught..

The brother in law said there was no way that the binder could be bad...he got sick...possibly it was just a bad batch..if it smells bad we should chunk it....how long can we keep this stuff?

Creek Girl
"Throw like a girl!"
www.Heather-Jordan.com
Vibrant Coastal Artist
Go to Top of Page

Coastal Fishing

19 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  09:27:05 AM  Show Profile Send Coastal Fishing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How much water are you supposed to mix with it

Coastal Fishing
Go to Top of Page

claim

2546 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  11:17:58 AM  Show Profile Send claim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coastal Fishing

How much water are you supposed to mix with it

Coastal Fishing

It's like mixing Sakreet/cement....you put in a little water and mix. Add a little more, use care not to turn your mixture into soup. Best to mix it in a separate container and keep your source material bucket dry.

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 18 year old ( has decided being with parents isn't cool)
1 - 15 year old (still does not mind hanging with the 'rents)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC
Go to Top of Page

dgasque
Intermediate Member

142 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2013 :  01:24:37 AM  Show Profile Send dgasque a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Creekgirl,
I am sorry to hear that folks got sick. Bait Binder will keep as long as it is not introduced to moisture. A few drops in the bag while shrimping or condensation can be enough. Be sure to protect unused portions from moisture while shrimping. Store leftovers in an area out of the sun and away from drastic temperature changes if possible.
If you don't go shrimping enough to use all of your Bait Binder within a two year span, use it in the crab trap, minnow trap, or for chumming fish. It is also a great catfish bait. Obviously, there could have been a number of factors at hand, but Bait Binder shelf life is very good when stored properly.
Go to Top of Page

nocatch
Intermediate Member

51 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2013 :  05:36:17 AM  Show Profile Send nocatch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like Some good Stuff. Going to have to Give it a try.

Edited by - nocatch on 09/10/2013 05:45:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

meks

181 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  9:11:16 PM  Show Profile Send meks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Small Net

I have always used clay and fish meal to make bait. What is baitbinder and how does it perform compared to clay/fish meal?

it's much faster and cheaper in the long run, used to cost me just as much for the fish meal and a bag of clay

way back when we just used pluff mud and dog food, that was cheap n worked excellent too! but it's as time consuming as mixing your own fish meal/clay

baitbinder is quick, that time savings alone is worth it to me

and the 1/2 size bucket comes in very handy afterwards...

'bout time
Go to Top of Page

dgreen115

16 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  10:20:14 PM  Show Profile Send dgreen115 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally use bait binder and would highly recommend it to anyone from novice to seasoned vet. I buy it in bulk when I can find it. Its not a question if it performs better and if its easier and less bulky and less messy the only question is why do more people not use it.lol. but in my eyes thats better for me less competition......
Go to Top of Page

dgasque
Intermediate Member

142 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  01:15:12 AM  Show Profile Send dgasque a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good luck! Be safe and Happy Shrimping!
Go to Top of Page

Swamp fox

9 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  11:11:39 PM  Show Profile Send Swamp fox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have seen the light and will never go back to clay and meal. Bait Binder works wonders. Last season pulled up a couple of patties that had been down for three hours and still looked good. Gave them a massage and back they went.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000