Weather Recipes Search Charters Classifieds Sponsors YouTube Twitter Facebook FAQ's Calendar Resources CharlestonFishing.Com

a

b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Offshore Discussion
 Catch share threat is back
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CFSF
Intermediate Member

53 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  09:15:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit CFSF's Homepage Send CFSF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope you had a happy new year.

As we enter 2017, the biggest threat to commercial and recreational fishermen in the South Atlantic is back: private ownership of the snapper-grouper fishery through a catch share program.

Fishery stakeholders have year after year overwhelmingly rejected any form of catch shares. Most recently, 97 percent of the comments on the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council’s long-range snapper-grouper management plan opposed catch shares -- a plan the council promised would be “stakeholder-driven.”

Yet, SAFMC Vice Chair Charlie Phillips has revealed that he, SAFMC member Chris Conklin and former SAFMC member Jack Cox, all commercial snapper-grouper fleet owners and dealers, are leading an effort to get a voluntary “pilot” catch share program in place this year using an “Exempted Fishing Permit,” which is a back door way to avoid the normal fishery regulation approval process.

Exempted Fishing Permits are approved solely by NOAA Fisheries Regional Administrator Roy Crabtree, who is also a member of the SAFMC. The SAFMC and the public can only provide input on the application. EFPs are normally used for research purposes when there is a need to get an exemption from fishery regulations.

In this case, the EFP would give participants shares of the fishery and apparently exempt them from any seasonal or quota closures. In a recent article in the Charleston, SC Post & Courier, Vice Chair Phillips touts that the permit would “allow them to catch all year."

Post & Courier article: http://www.postandcourier.com/news/fresh-snapper-grouper-on-plate-year-round/article_4146889e-acf8-11e6-800a-6f3de8ae4d64.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share

The article also reveals that the Seafood Harvesters of America, which has been funded with over $300,000 from the radical Environmental Defense Fund, is supporting the EFP application. The Seafood Harvesters represent some of the biggest catch share owners in the nation.

Click below to read our president Wayne Mershon's response in the Post & Courier entitled “Don't bite on risky lure of 'catch shares'.”

http://www.postandcourier.com/opinion/commentary/don-t-bite-on-risky-lure-of-catch-shares/article_181b78aa-bb1f-11e6-b197-3392e7e81781.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share

Wayne documents that catch shares destroy jobs (more than 18,000 so far) and don’t provide any biological benefit to fisheries. Catch shares only pick economic winners (“sea lords”) and losers (“serfs”). There certainly isn't a need for a pilot catch share program -- all fishermen need to do is look to the catch share disasters in the Gulf of Mexico, New England and Pacific.

It's not clear when the EFP application would be submitted to NOAA and the SAFMC. However, Vice Chair Phillips is optimistic that his fellow SAFMC members would endorse the EFP, telling the Post & Courier: "I'd like to think the council would say yes. It would be a reasonable thing to do."

Let's hope not.

Beyond the very serious question of potential conflicts of interests, the SAFMC should honor its promise to fishery stakeholders and oppose this back door effort to privatize the fishery, as should NOAA.

Here's how you can help:

Contact the SAFMC ringleaders of this effort today and tell them to listen to fishermen as promised and stop pushing unwanted catch shares:
Vice Chair Charlie Phillips -- ga_capt@yahoo.com or 912-832-4423
Chris Conklin -- conklinsafmc@gmail.com or 843-543-3833

Thank you in advance for your efforts!

Tom Swatzel
Executive Director
Council for Sustainable Fishing
www.Sustainablefishing.org

surfwrangler

430 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  09:51:53 AM  Show Profile Send surfwrangler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Emails sent but shouldn't we be emailing Crabtree since it sounds like he has the only vote?? We know conklin and Phillips are going to keep at it they have too much to gain, but maybe we can get Crabtree to stomp it out
Go to Top of Page

CFSF
Intermediate Member

53 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  10:59:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit CFSF's Homepage Send CFSF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your efforts.

Comments to Roy Crabtree to deny the EFP need to be on the record for the EFP application. Since the application has not yet been submitted, I would wait.

Also, after the application is submitted, the SAFMC will consider whether to endorse the EFP at the next meeting. Fishermen will need to let the fishery council know on the record that the EFP should be opposed.

I would hold fire for now and focus on the SAFMC ringleaders, Phillips and Conklin.

Tom Swatzel
Executive Director
Go to Top of Page

surfwrangler

430 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  10:28:50 AM  Show Profile Send surfwrangler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The reply from Phillips for whomever is interested

"First of all the council is not in planning stages of anything to do with any type of catch share program. There are a few fishermen that would like to look at a commercial EFP in an effort to fish in a safer and more business oriented manner. It does not effect recreational fishermen in any way nor should it effect anyone that doesn't want to participate in a voluntary EFP.
None of the fishermen interested in the EFP are interested in coping what has been done in the gulf, but are interested in learning from what are considered their mistakes.
Digging,
Charlie "
Go to Top of Page

CFSF
Intermediate Member

53 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  12:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit CFSF's Homepage Send CFSF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Charlie refuses to use the phrase "catch shares" as it relates to the exempted permit he is pursing with fellow SAFMC member Chris Conklin and former SAFMC member Jack Cox.

In the Post & Courier article about the EFP in the above post, instead of catch shares, "individual quotas" is used. That fits into the definition of what catch shares are.

Tom Swatzel
Executive Director
Go to Top of Page

natureboy
SPONSOR

2633 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  12:12:33 PM  Show Profile Send natureboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Catch shares will make a few com fishers very wealthy. Catch shares by any other name is still the council selling our resource. The already elevated seafood prices will rise even more - and catch shares will become the gold of the sea - traded for ever spiraling upward prices. What happened to those with a conflict of interest abstaining?

It will affect rec fishers in the long run. Rec fishers will see the decreased creel numbers and closures from the over and by catch .

Please do your part and object to catch shares.
Go to Top of Page

FishnBarrels

981 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  8:58:13 PM  Show Profile Send FishnBarrels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please everyone do your part and email those jackwagons and then show up and speak at any/all council meetings possible. I am disgusted with this situation and will do whatever possible to help change things
Go to Top of Page

skinneej
Prolific Poster

20634 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  11:30:14 PM  Show Profile Send skinneej a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CFSF

Charlie refuses to use the phrase "catch shares" as it relates to the exempted permit he is pursing with fellow SAFMC member Chris Conklin and former SAFMC member Jack Cox.

In the Post & Courier article about the EFP in the above post, instead of catch shares, "individual quotas" is used. That fits into the definition of what catch shares are.

Tom Swatzel
Executive Director

Sounds like we got us a few "kingpin" wannabes...

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/01/kingpins_of_the_gulf_make_mill.html

For those who don't know what natureboy is referring to, please check out the article above...
Go to Top of Page

surfwrangler

430 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  3:15:40 PM  Show Profile Send surfwrangler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And here is conklins reply again for whomever is interested

Me:
Capt Conklin please stop supporting catch shares by any name. Do not sell out our resources for the benefit of a few

Chris:
First off I'd like to know where you are getting your information from? Many organizations ask you to be a member
and donate money by scaring you into thinking there is a crisis or not providing the entire story. These organizations als have never brought any solutions to fix the problems in the commercial fishery. The bandwagon is not the best place for information.

I'd like to provide a little clarification of the pilot program that a core group of business and resource minded Commercial fisherman are developing to keep Commercial fisherman in business year round.

This has nothing to do with recreational fisherman or their fishery.

Right now Commercial Snapper Grouper fisherman are able to sustain themselves and their families about 6 months out of the year. The other 6 months they are forced to go out in horrific conditions to keep few species because the quotas are filled,all the while wastefully discarding fish that earlier in the year they could keep and bring to the market for an american consumer to enjoy. thus working twice as hard and usually twice as long to make less money. Tell me how this makes since.

This pilot program for a year round fishing season only applies to the individuals that choose to participate 20-30 boats out of the 600+ Federal permit holders that participate in the Snapper Grouper fishery.

Let's keep in mind that over 60% of these permits are being leased out to part timers that do not rely on commercial snapper grouper fishing as their primary source of income, thus catching a large portion of the quota the full time career fisherman that rely on the fishery to support their families.

1. What is this program?
a. It’s a flexible plan to have a year-round COMMERCIAL fishery
b. It will get COMMERCIAL fishermen away from shortening seasons.
c. It’s being developed by Commercial fishermen with over a hundred year of commercial fishing experience.
d. It’s allocation based.
e. We think it’ll solve some of the problems facing the commercial fishery today – derbies, wasteful discarding, closed seasons, market gluts, fishing in unsafe conditions, etc.

This is a voluntary pilot program that will be tested alongside the existing management regulations in the COMMERCIAL SNAPPER GROUPER FISHERY ONLY..

If you are not one of the 600+ commercial Snapper Grouper Permit holders then this program will not affect you or your business.

We're willing to test a new solution, using ourselves as the guinea pigs we're not imposing a catch share on everyone or anyone for that matter.

We just want to try something different that is developed from the bottom up by people in the industry that have the most knowledge and respect the resource.

A well designed plan can avoid many of the issues that have arose in other regions concerning ownership, job loss, sea lords, etc

Thank you for your concern
Chris Conklin

Go to Top of Page

surfwrangler

430 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  3:25:20 PM  Show Profile Send surfwrangler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess it is trying to be passed on like it will have no effect on Rec anglers as usual but not acknowledging how this is a slippery slope for us. I am at the point where I don't even care if commercial fishing continues. I know this is selfish and not productive for a solution but I feel if commercial fishing stopped there would be no issue on quotas closed species etc... I don't care if some one in Kansas wants to buy fresh grouper.
Go to Top of Page

sand monkey
Intermediate Member

104 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  4:25:33 PM  Show Profile Send sand monkey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Opinions are like a-holes everybody has one.
Go to Top of Page

natureboy
SPONSOR

2633 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2017 :  4:49:28 PM  Show Profile Send natureboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading Conklins reply to Surf, It strikes me that this is the most selfish, self serving idea I have ever read from a council member! Lets all remember that $$$ from EDF is involved, and this WILL affect rec fishers with even more by catch & over fishing closures. EDF will be in the market yo control as many of the issued catch shares as possible. Please respond to the council and STOP this sale of our resources.
Go to Top of Page

CFSF
Intermediate Member

53 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  07:19:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit CFSF's Homepage Send CFSF a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a quick reminder that we need your help today to stop the "pilot” commercial snapper-grouper catch share program being proposed by two South Atlantic Fishery Management Council members: Vice Chair Charlie Phillips and Chris Conklin, both commercial snapper-grouper fleet owners and dealers.

Incredibly, in a recent email about this pilot program (posted above on this forum), Chris effectively said he wants to get rid of 60 percent of commercial snapper-grouper fishermen, who he calls “part timers,” so the big snapper-grouper players will benefit.

From his email:

“Let's keep in mind that over 60% of these permits are being leased out to part timers that do not rely on commercial snapper grouper fishing as their primary source of income, thus catching a large portion of the quota the full time career fisherman that rely on the fishery to support their families.”

Most full time career commercial and for-hire fishermen in the South Atlantic make a living by participating in multiple fisheries, so they could be considered part timers in many fisheries. But they are full time career fishermen, of which snapper-grouper is just one vital income source.

Imagine eliminating 60 percent of commercial snapper-grouper fishermen and the economic devastation that would inflict on families and fishing communities. That’s what catch shares do.

Click here for the letter we sent to these SAFMC members asking them to stop:
http://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/sustainablefishing/mailings/50/attachments/original/SAFMC_Phillips-Conklin_EFP__Jan._17__2017.pdf?1485014030

If you haven’t already done so, please contact these SAFMC catch share ringleaders today and tell them to stop trying to put fishermen out of business by pushing unwanted catch shares:

Vice Chair Charlie Phillips -- ga_capt@yahoo.com or 912-832-4423
Chris Conklin -- conklinsafmc@gmail.com or 843-543-3833

Thank you in advance for your efforts!

Tom Swatzel
Executive Director
Go to Top of Page

flyinghigh

939 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2017 :  9:25:56 PM  Show Profile Send flyinghigh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by surfwrangler

I guess it is trying to be passed on like it will have no effect on Rec anglers as usual but not acknowledging how this is a slippery slope for us. I am at the point where I don't even care if commercial fishing continues. I know this is selfish and not productive for a solution but I feel if commercial fishing stopped there would be no issue on quotas closed species etc... I don't care if some one in Kansas wants to buy fresh grouper.

maybe the rancher in Kansas doesn't care if you want a steak!
Go to Top of Page

Redstripe

4271 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2017 :  10:23:04 AM  Show Profile Send Redstripe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We need to start farming the sea, and drive these azz wipes out of business.
Go to Top of Page

FishnBarrels

981 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2017 :  8:32:55 PM  Show Profile Send FishnBarrels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SkintBack1998, as a very new member on this site, you seem to have alot of inside knowledge. What is your background or position within this fishery politics discussion? Just respectfully curious. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

sand monkey
Intermediate Member

104 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2017 :  07:35:38 AM  Show Profile Send sand monkey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Farming the sea,most better stick to the day job some I know would starve to death if tried for a living.
Go to Top of Page

FishnBarrels

981 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  6:47:11 PM  Show Profile Send FishnBarrels a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are only 4 days left to submit comments on Red Snapper and Shallow water grouper. I am shocked to see so few comments overall. Don't yell in the dark people, take 20 minutes and comment on the SAFMC.net website.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000