Weather Recipes Search Charters Classifieds Sponsors YouTube Twitter Facebook FAQ's Calendar Resources CharlestonFishing.Com

a

b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Fishing Discussion
 Line for Mahi ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Cat Sass
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  12:32:21 AM  Show Profile Send Cat Sass a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just bought 2 new Penn Sqwall 50LD Combos, what size line do y'all use for offshore trolling ?

266 World Cat
Twin 130 Honda

Toothy12

189 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  06:59:01 AM  Show Profile Send Toothy12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everything from 20lb to 130lb to braid. Lots of variables such as application and rod selection play a big role in line size.
Go to Top of Page

Long Enuff

890 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  07:55:33 AM  Show Profile Send Long Enuff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
50 lb mono for most trolling applications is what we use.

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250
Go to Top of Page

40inchreds

837 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  08:15:46 AM  Show Profile Send 40inchreds a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Edited by - 40inchreds on 04/19/2017 12:41:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

northchucky

1515 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  09:16:05 AM  Show Profile Send northchucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What long enuff said...

Don't overthink it for mahi trolling at least

"mr keys"
Go to Top of Page

23Sailfish
Prolific Poster

21819 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  09:34:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit 23Sailfish's Homepage Send 23Sailfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inchreds
White braid is good for trolling it is less visible from the bottom looking up.

I don't understand this. Can you explain?

Go to Top of Page

bangstick

391 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  10:02:39 AM  Show Profile Send bangstick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can see where white braid would silhouette less (in certain applications) than darker colored braids but braid in general silhouettes more than mono or fluorocarbon.

No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how far you fall...you are never out of the fight.
Go to Top of Page

skinneej
Prolific Poster

20231 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  10:11:13 AM  Show Profile Send skinneej a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would do one each and figure out what I like my self. Lb wise I've used 20lb light lines and heavy my prefence is to have something I can use and less experienced can use with no worries. Under 30lb line can be popped easy when trying to muscle a fish. Your 50 at max drag will easily blow 30lb line, if someone over applies it. It takes a long time to baby a fish in that is several hundred yards behind the boat. If the bites hot I don't want to be playing a 20#r on 20# line for 30 minutes. 50s were original designed with 50# mono in mind, a braid close in diameter would be like 130 or 50 and perform close to the same. With the heavier braid strength and capacity you can do wind on or clip on leaders and fish nearly any style. White braid is good for trolling it is less visible from the bottom looking up.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???

Shouldn't be "trolling braid" anyway. Use the braid for backing and put a couple hundred yards of mono topshot on it... If you had 50lb mono, you would never do the same diameter braid. You would probably want to use close to the same test braid. The whole point of putting braid backing is to take advantage of the smaller diameter so you can get more line on the spool.
Go to Top of Page

skinneej
Prolific Poster

20231 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  10:13:49 AM  Show Profile Send skinneej a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bangstick

I can see where white braid would silhouette less (in certain applications) than darker colored braids but braid in general silhouettes more than mono or fluorocarbon.

No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how far you fall...you are never out of the fight.

If you are worried about the braid silhouette, then you are doing it wrong. That being said, I do commend you for spelling silhouette correctly. That took me a couple of tries.
Go to Top of Page

bangstick

391 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  10:25:16 AM  Show Profile Send bangstick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HaHa!!! I'd like to take this time to thank my elementary and middle school English teachers.

In freshwater fishing, which I do more of, line silhouette/profile is a big deal. Braided line looks like steel cable underwater and for lake/pond fish that get a lot of pressure and do become "line shy," that is definitely a factor.

Go to Top of Page

bonecrusher

613 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  11:03:22 AM  Show Profile Send bonecrusher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

HaHa!!! I'd like to take this time to thank my elementary and middle school English teachers.

In freshwater fishing, which I do more of, line silhouette/profile is a big deal. Braided line looks like steel cable underwater and for lake/pond fish that get a lot of pressure and do become "line shy," that is definitely a factor.

When offshore trolling though, you're going to have 6 feet of 80-100lb mono leader between your terminal tackle and the ball bearing swivel connecting the leader to the main line. At that point, I don't think fish are noticing the running line (otherwise, hi-vis line wouldn't be popular either).

2014 Key West 203DFS
1987 Landau
Go to Top of Page

bangstick

391 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  11:09:44 AM  Show Profile Send bangstick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Makes sense.

Go to Top of Page

23Sailfish
Prolific Poster

21819 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  11:12:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit 23Sailfish's Homepage Send 23Sailfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh ok wait, one of these guys is full of it then! Which one is it? Skinnie or 40? Who do I listen to!?!

Go to Top of Page

PeaPod

6251 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  12:01:45 PM  Show Profile Send PeaPod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i've never known you to listen to anyone
Go to Top of Page

skinneej
Prolific Poster

20231 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  1:43:16 PM  Show Profile Send skinneej a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For sure. I have no doubt that in other applications that might be a concern. I can't speak for everyone, but in trolling, there is the tangle factor when pulling multiple lines. The most common setups that I have ever seen are either 100% mono all through the reel with the line size matched to the reel size, or braid backing with mono top shot. I'm not saying nobody has tried it, but I personally have never fished with anyone that had 100% braid on the reel. I think that is asking for a Guinness book proportion tangle. It's not uncommon to get "covered up" with the dolphincorymahistrongstrongmaui fish and they like to go every which direction. With a half way decent crew this isn't a hard situation to manage, but wraps happen and are easy to resolve with mono.

That being said, maybe there are people who fish this way. I did see SteveO from the MTV show "jackass" staple letters to his butt cheeks, but that's not something I want to try either.
Go to Top of Page

bangstick

391 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  1:47:51 PM  Show Profile Send bangstick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kudos for openly admitting to seeing Jackass. Lol!!!! Yeah, can't imagine there's too many life lessons to learn from that crowd. Lol!!!

Go to Top of Page

Hurricane701
SPONSOR

2558 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  1:49:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hurricane701's Homepage Send Hurricane701 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't make things difficult, it's a small reel fill it full of 30lb mono and catch a few fish. If you're worried about breaking strength kick it up to 40 or an over test 30lb like Momoi Diamond. You might push 600 yds with 30, step back to 500ish with 40lb.

HADDRELL'S POINT TACKLE & SUPPLY
Your Complete Sportfishing Center
www.haddrellspoint.com
www.facebook.com/Haddrells.Point
Go to Top of Page

40inchreds

837 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  1:51:08 PM  Show Profile Send 40inchreds a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Edited by - 40inchreds on 04/19/2017 12:42:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

skinneej
Prolific Poster

20231 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  2:09:15 PM  Show Profile Send skinneej a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you think braid is only used for capacity your lost.

40inchImagination, Well I didn't say that. It's definitely good for catching grouper. It's great for inshore casting as well. Also good for spinning rods too!

Find a charter captain, tournament team, commercial fisherman, etc that is trolling with 100% braid. I'll check back in after a few weeks to see how you are doing.

How have you tested your "fish can't see it as well from the bottom" theory? Are you a diver too?

Also, most of the fish you catch probably come from the sides, not straight up under the lure... Just FYI... What will work better in that scenario? White or blue? Or mono?

Edited by - skinneej on 03/31/2017 2:11:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

skinneej
Prolific Poster

20231 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  2:19:10 PM  Show Profile Send skinneej a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hurricane701

Don't make things difficult, it's a small reel fill it full of 30lb mono and catch a few fish. If you're worried about breaking strength kick it up to 40 or an over test 30lb like Momoi Diamond. You might push 600 yds with 30, step back to 500ish with 40lb.

www.haddrellspoint.com

Best advice here... People have been catching mauis on monofilament since the Flintstones. This braid talk makes my head hurt. I'll probably need a margarita after all of this... And yes, before anyone asks, it is okay for a man to drink a margarita or 8...
Go to Top of Page

bangstick

391 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  2:54:57 PM  Show Profile Send bangstick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Frozen or on the rocks?

And as far as the whole "don't overthink it" dilemma, that's BS. If people didn't "overthink" fishing, tackle shops would all be about the size of a kiosk in the mall and their staffs would be cut back to one or two people. Besides, "overthinking" has led to some great innovations in the fishing industry. No, it's not a matter of "only needing" the bare necessities to catch a fish. It's about what you have confidence in. It's your gear, tweak it how you see fit. If what you're running gives you confidence, use it because confidence is one of the most important things you can take to the water with you.

Edited by - bangstick on 03/31/2017 3:03:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

skinneej
Prolific Poster

20231 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  3:09:48 PM  Show Profile Send skinneej a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Frozen or on the rocks?

And as far as the whole "don't overthink it" dilemma, that's BS. If people didn't "overthink" fishing, tackle shops would all be about the size of a kiosk in the mall and their staffs would be cut back to one or two people. Besides, "overthinking" has led to some great innovations in the fishing industry. No, it's not a matter of "only needing" the bare necessities to catch a fish. It's about what you have confidence in. It's your gear, tweak it how you see fit. If what you're running gives you confidence, use it because confidence is one of the most important things you can take to the water with you.

You propose a false dilemma ("overthinking" vs "bare necessities"). This equates to "overthinking" vs "underthinking". There is actually a third option here though... Can someone speak up for the class?

I don't care about "confidence". I only care about catching fish. I know a lot of "overconfident" people who can't catch fish. You can talk about white braid vs mahogany braid for all I care, but if you aren't putting fish in the box, your words mean squat. I'm not overthinking anything about that comment.

PS... On the rocks. Frozen margaritas are for ladies.

Edited by - skinneej on 03/31/2017 3:10:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

millacd

748 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  3:21:18 PM  Show Profile Send millacd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
for your specific reel, I would keep it simple and do 40lb momoi diamond hi visibility. Plenty of capacity and strength (40 lb diamond momoi is 40 lb diameter, but usually actually tests around 57 lbs if I remember correctly). for regular trolling, you want mono, and the high visibility also helps.

Edited by - millacd on 03/31/2017 3:21:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

millacd

748 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  3:25:30 PM  Show Profile Send millacd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hurricane701

www.haddrellspoint.com

this is also good advice. couldn't go wrong with 30lb momoi diamond although myself, I prefer stronger line at the sacrifice of capacity.
Go to Top of Page

northchucky

1515 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  3:40:40 PM  Show Profile Send northchucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
we all need the wind to stop blowing apparently...

Simon is dead on. if the tackle shop guy says keep it simple, keep it simple lol

I've seen braid pop when a fish makes a sudden run. mono stretches. I know what I'll be using.

All the extra braid capacity doesn't mean squat when you have 200 yards of line off 4 rods hopelessly tangled 50 miles offshore. have fun with that

"mr keys"

Edited by - northchucky on 03/31/2017 3:41:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

skinneej
Prolific Poster

20231 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2017 :  6:13:56 PM  Show Profile Send skinneej a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember growing up, as a small child and my dad used to tell me... "son, you can &@&$t in one hand and troll with 130lb white braid in the other and see which fills your cooler faster". Words of wisdom to live by.

Edited by - skinneej on 03/31/2017 6:18:16 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000