Weather Recipes Search Charters Classifieds Sponsors YouTube Twitter Facebook FAQ's Calendar Resources CharlestonFishing.Com

a

b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Inshore Discussion
 Sea Turtles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SeaTurtleScientist
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  12:09:51 PM  Show Profile Send SeaTurtleScientist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone, summer is basically here and while that means beautiful beach and boat days it also means sea turtle season. I occasionally see posts about people saying they caught or at least saw a sea turtle while out fishing so I figured I would give y'all some turtle info. The sea turtles showed up earlier than expected this year due to this warm weather and we're already receiving daily reports. We are still getting lots of reports of Leatherbacks feeding heavily on cannonball jellyfish offshore, and many Kemps Ridley sea turtles have been caught from fishing piers throughout the state. Also Loggerheads will begin nesting in the next few weeks which will bring lots of turtles into our inshore and nearshore waters. If you catch a sea turtle or see one that is injured or dead please report it to the SC DNR at 1-800-922-5431.

natureboy
SPONSOR

2385 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  1:27:33 PM  Show Profile Send natureboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are sea turtles still endangered? Have the years & years of protection failed?
Go to Top of Page

SeaTurtleScientist
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  2:21:10 PM  Show Profile Send SeaTurtleScientist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All sea turtle species are still considered endangered in SC waters but all populations are showing an increasing trend. Because they are such long lived animals and don't reach sexual maturity until they are at least 25 years old, we are just now beginning to see the upwards trend in population numbers resulting from the conservation programs created 30 years ago (TED's, nesting protection projects, and the sea turtle stranding and salvage network).

"I like turtles"
Go to Top of Page

tigerfin

3101 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  2:59:57 PM  Show Profile Send tigerfin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that one of those big ones suddenly popping up a few dozen yds in front of your boat while you're cruising through one of the inlets will certainly make your butt pucker up...

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki
Go to Top of Page

flyinghigh

920 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  3:16:57 PM  Show Profile Send flyinghigh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what was the population like 80 years ago?
Go to Top of Page

natureboy
SPONSOR

2385 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  9:25:21 PM  Show Profile Send natureboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
80 years ago? nobody knows. I have read some studies that suggest that sea turtles have made a huge comeback ,,,, but its not good political form to say anything that might threaten all the bureaucrats & fund raising jobs. Its not that I want to harm turtles - but I don't want useless spending of out tax $$$
Go to Top of Page

Edisto82

1007 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  11:51:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Edisto82 an AOL message Send Edisto82 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When can we start eating the eggs again
Go to Top of Page

Easy

8889 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  06:53:15 AM  Show Profile Send Easy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which ones taste the best in soup and I've heard you can steak them!
Go to Top of Page

natureboy
SPONSOR

2385 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  07:27:51 AM  Show Profile Send natureboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many years ago they were on the menu for lunch on shrimp boats! I just looked it up - Not all turtles are endangered - but the turtle lobby is against any data collection. Jobs & paychecks are at stake
Go to Top of Page

Easy

8889 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  08:20:29 AM  Show Profile Send Easy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only ones the shrimpers get to eat now, are the ones that are to big to fit through the TED. Those are fair game!
Go to Top of Page

23Sailfish
Prolific Poster

21806 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  10:38:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit 23Sailfish's Homepage Send 23Sailfish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the list of endangered species according to SCDNR:

http://dnr.sc.gov/species/pdf/SC_state_wide2014.pdf

Go to Top of Page

millacd

741 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  10:57:07 AM  Show Profile Send millacd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't it just be easier to have a list of species that arent endangered?

Edited by - millacd on 04/20/2017 10:58:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

RunninLate
Intermediate Member

84 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  11:41:22 AM  Show Profile Send RunninLate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fishing last Saturday in Warrsaw Sound (Savannah) 2 big ones were coming out of the creek. At first I was not sure what they were.

Ricky Friedenberg
Savannah, GA
2004 Sea Pro 206
1975 Mako 171 Angler
Go to Top of Page

40inchreds

834 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  12:55:27 PM  Show Profile Send 40inchreds a Private Message  Reply with Quote
South edisto is turtle central. There are dinosaurs down there.
Go to Top of Page

Moral Kiosk
Intermediate Member

134 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  4:19:35 PM  Show Profile Send Moral Kiosk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw one today in the Ashley River. Just on the Harbor side of the Hwy. 17 bridges. I couldn't believe it at first. Maybe that's common, but it's the first one I've seen in the river. He was beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

OccamsRaiser

543 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  9:05:32 PM  Show Profile Send OccamsRaiser a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by natureboy

80 years ago? nobody knows. I have read some studies that suggest that sea turtles have made a huge comeback ,,,, but its not good political form to say anything that might threaten all the bureaucrats & fund raising jobs. Its not that I want to harm turtles - but I don't want useless spending of out tax $$$

Which studies specifically? I'd like to read them too.
Go to Top of Page

natureboy
SPONSOR

2385 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  10:19:33 PM  Show Profile Send natureboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OccamsRaiser

quote:
Originally posted by natureboy

Which studies specifically? I'd like to read them too.

I don't recall specifically. It was a publication I read in my Dr's office while awaiting a dreaded rubber glove procedure. If I can find it again , I'll let you know. So what is your contention? Have the past 30 years of fund raising & protections helped or been a failure?

Edited by - natureboy on 04/21/2017 11:18:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

drterry

189 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  09:51:12 AM  Show Profile Send drterry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually saw one solitary baby making its way from the dunes to the water at dawn on SI last year. He was either a straggler or an early hatcher as i know its unusual to just see one new hatchling. The turtle volunteer seem very serious and not particularly friendly in my experience.
Go to Top of Page

natureboy
SPONSOR

2385 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  11:16:47 AM  Show Profile Send natureboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Between 30' and 150 ' I have seen so many - infact, I was on a vessel that struck a turtle. My issue with sea turtles is - Do we have any good data on numbers? Do tax dollars pay any part for the protection? and why is this effort limited to sea turtles? I know SC has laws preventing the commercial harvest of fresh water turtles - but it seems that this is the only protection in place. Why don't the turtle patrol protect freshwater sliders, Soft shells, alligator snappers, Eastern box turtles, and mud turtles? It seems that only sea turtles get the warm fuzzy treatment. Wonder if the "sea turtle hospitals" will take in a big mean gator snapper, and have a warm fuzzy release party at a swamp edge?
Go to Top of Page

cofcfishing

330 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  4:40:43 PM  Show Profile Send cofcfishing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I know is they are pain to haul in a boat and try to remove a hook out of... Seen a few off the Folly Pier, tons of those cannonball jellyfish everywhere.

"When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon." - Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

Fred67

9020 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2017 :  12:37:01 PM  Show Profile Send Fred67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

This is the list of endangered species according to SCDNR:

http://dnr.sc.gov/species/pdf/SC_state_wide2014.pdf

Good gracious what a list. I had to google search a few, because I've never heard of them.

Wonder what's the deal with Freshwater marsh and Tupelo Gum? Seems that we still have a good deal of both.

"If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000