Weather Recipes Search Charters Classifieds Sponsors YouTube Twitter Facebook FAQ's Calendar Resources CharlestonFishing.Com

a

b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Fishing Discussion
 Transporting Rods
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Goob

524 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  10:46:50 PM  Show Profile Send Goob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have a summer trip planned for the keys. I have rented a boat and plan to take my rods and gear. I'm looking for a way to transport my rods and maximize my space in the bed of the truck.

I have looked at making a rod tube out of 6" pvc with end caps. Take the reels off the rods and see how many I can fit in the tube.

Does this sound crazy and is there a better method? Most manufactured tubes Ive seen are for two and three piece travel rods. All of my rods are one piece.

18' Hewes Bayfisher

millacd

801 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  10:48:46 PM  Show Profile Send millacd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
how many rods? I have a rod rack mounted to my toolbox that hold 5. it works well, just have to mind the height of the rods when driving.
Go to Top of Page

Goob

524 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  11:15:01 PM  Show Profile Send Goob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
was planning to take 4 or 5 rods. I have an idea for mounting a triple rod holder on the side rails of my truck, but I thought the rods would ride better with the reels off in a tube.

18' Hewes Bayfisher
Go to Top of Page

DFreedom
Prolific Poster

12712 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2017 :  08:28:04 AM  Show Profile Send DFreedom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you have stake (pocket) holes on your bedrails, you could make something like this. I haul rods to the Keys and back easy peasy. Took me a couple of hours to make.

[URL=http://s390.photobucket.com/user/d4dham/media/Fishing%20Stuff/TruckRodRack.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s390.photobucket.com/user/d4dham/media/Fishing%20Stuff/TruckRodRack1.jpg.html][/URL]

I have since replaced the wood uprights with steel that I welded and painted. Looks a lot better, almost professional. I strap them in with bungees and have a plastic coated cable I can use to lock them into the rack.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?
Go to Top of Page

leadenwahboy

1965 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2017 :  08:28:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit leadenwahboy's Homepage Send leadenwahboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Goob

was planning to take 4 or 5 rods. I have an idea for mounting a triple rod holder on the side rails of my truck, but I thought the rods would ride better with the reels off in a tube.

18' Hewes Bayfisher

They can't be any safer or ride any better than sticking up in the back of the truck in a rod holder...

Unless you plan on bubble wrapping them and then putting them in a tube. If they rattle around in there, they'll just beat on each other...

Wadmalaw native
16' Bentz-Craft Flats Boat
Go to Top of Page

boatpoor

2753 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2017 :  2:09:23 PM  Show Profile Send boatpoor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like easy picking for the theifs! Have had lots of rods damaged in tubes at the airport! You can fit a lot of rod in a 6" pipe, zip tie them before you put in tube, every other one a different direction
Go to Top of Page

DFreedom
Prolific Poster

12712 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2017 :  6:43:04 PM  Show Profile Send DFreedom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No pickings off my rack, I can lock them to it.

Go to Top of Page

Easy

8998 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2017 :  7:44:21 PM  Show Profile Send Easy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DF. how do you lock the whole rack to the truck Can't they just pull the whole rack out of the stake holes, rods and all
Go to Top of Page

DFreedom
Prolific Poster

12712 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2017 :  8:06:19 PM  Show Profile Send DFreedom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are holes inside the bed that go into the stake pockets. I drilled holes in the vertical uprights and put those pins with loops on them to hold the rack down. I have a bed cover and lock the tailgate. Tada!

Go to Top of Page

Easy

8998 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2017 :  8:25:27 PM  Show Profile Send Easy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DF, The Pod, needs to take back all the things he's ever said about your mechanical skills

Edited by - Easy on 05/13/2017 8:26:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

DFreedom
Prolific Poster

12712 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2017 :  4:40:33 PM  Show Profile Send DFreedom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, I got some skills.

Go to Top of Page

tigerfin

3137 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2017 :  10:06:17 PM  Show Profile Send tigerfin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A battery operated sawzall will make quick work of that rod rack...

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki
Go to Top of Page

DFreedom
Prolific Poster

12712 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2017 :  06:09:32 AM  Show Profile Send DFreedom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really don't leave them sitting in the rack for extended periods of time unattended. Usually long enough to run into a bathroom or fast food joint. I certainly never leave rods in over night. If someone comes along in the 10 minutes I am away from my truck and just happens to have a battery operated Sawzall, I guess the fish gods are against me.

Go to Top of Page

bangstick

508 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2017 :  08:07:04 AM  Show Profile Send bangstick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does the boat not have any storage? I have two rod compartments (in the front deck) on my boat so before I leave the house, I put my rods (with reels still mounted) in those compartments and then lock them.

No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how far you fall...you are never out of the fight.
Go to Top of Page

scdiver

553 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2017 :  08:17:50 AM  Show Profile Send scdiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bangstick

Does the boat not have any storage? I have two rod compartments (in the front deck) on my boat so before I leave the house, I put my rods (with reels still mounted) in those compartments and then lock them.

I imagine the boat is in FL, he needs to transport rods to FL from SC.

I have rod holder on toolbox, but before I had that, I mounted rod holders on a big cooler and it worked just fine.

Just make sure the cooler is full enough to suppoort rod weight and wind resistance.

Edited by - scdiver on 05/15/2017 08:18:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

bangstick

508 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2017 :  08:29:25 AM  Show Profile Send bangstick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scdiver

quote:
Originally posted by bangstick

I imagine the boat is in FL, he needs to transport rods to FL from SC.

I have rod holder on toolbox, but before I had that, I mounted rod holders on a big cooler and it worked just fine.

Just make sure the cooler is full enough to suppoort rod weight and wind resistance.

Ah! I guess I should've seen that possibility. My bad.

With that in mind, I'd build some rod tubes out of PVC and then carry the reels in a separate case/bag. Granted, most of those guys use ARE rod tubes but those things are $500 per tube. You can build a nice one for less than $100 per tube. This is the most common means of transport for guys on various bass fishing tours and those guys log thousands of miles every year and never have any issues with "road rash."

No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how far you fall...you are never out of the fight.

Edited by - bangstick on 05/15/2017 08:33:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

friogatto

720 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2017 :  3:39:37 PM  Show Profile Send friogatto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
6" Shrink wrap.

Place all the rods together with the eyes not hitting.
Start at the butts and wrap up. Holds the rods tight to each other so no banging on each other. Also gives the smallest profile.
When loading/organizing the truck bed. Rods go on top with a thin blanket folded over them.
Go to Top of Page

PeaPod

6335 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2017 :  6:04:35 PM  Show Profile Send PeaPod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Easy I said he breaks alotta stuff. I never said he couldn't fix stuff. he can of necessity fix stuff, breaking everything like he does - lotta practice. I'm right of course. It's ok buddy, I day drink sometimes and forget stuff

Edited by - PeaPod on 05/16/2017 08:12:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

empty pockets

1317 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  12:42:37 AM  Show Profile Send empty pockets a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You got rod holders in the boat? Ride em if so.
Go to Top of Page

P-K

747 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  9:01:08 PM  Show Profile Send P-K a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try some rod socks. Don't know if local shops sell them but can get at a bps, cables or online
Go to Top of Page

ifish843

21 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  11:00:17 PM  Show Profile Send ifish843 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just click the link. I recommend this product to all, not just you. Relatively cheap and incredibly helpful.
https://www.amazon.com/BoatBuckle-F17726-RodBunk-Marine-Fly/dp/B000KK92WW
Go to Top of Page

ifish843

21 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  11:01:59 PM  Show Profile Send ifish843 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, may not cut if for a truck, but for those SUV owners.
Go to Top of Page

Redstripe

4232 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2017 :  01:47:16 AM  Show Profile Send Redstripe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just throw em in the bed of the truck and get the Hell outa Florida as fast as possible. ..
Go to Top of Page

Goob

524 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2017 :  06:45:36 AM  Show Profile Send Goob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bought a Flambeua bazooka rod tube for what I thought was a decent price. It was cheaper than what I was going to spend on a pvc tube with screw on end caps It will be a lot lighter and is designed specifically for transporting rods. Going to take the advice of wrapping in bubble wrap and sliding in this tube. Thanks

18' Hewes Bayfisher
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000