Weather Recipes Search Charters Classifieds Sponsors YouTube Twitter Facebook FAQ's Calendar Resources CharlestonFishing.Com

a

b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Hunting
 Hunting
 2017 New Deer Tag Info
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

swampchicken
Intermediate Member

60 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2017 :  9:21:13 PM  Show Profile Send swampchicken a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Effective Deer Season 2017, all harvested deer in South Carolina are required to be tagged at the point of kill

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/deertags/

2000 Scout 175 Sportfish

salty849

1754 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2017 :  9:51:56 PM  Show Profile Send salty849 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You just now finding this out?
Go to Top of Page

swampchicken
Intermediate Member

60 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  05:21:51 AM  Show Profile Send swampchicken a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Salty, I knew it was coming. Just interesting to see the official details

2000 Scout 175 Sportfish
Go to Top of Page

Fred67

9264 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  06:18:48 AM  Show Profile Send Fred67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting swampchicken. Knew about the tags just didn't know how it is suppose to work.... Also signed up for e-mail reports from DNR.

Deer tags WILL NOT be available over the counter at point-of-sales vendors (Walmart, Dick’s Sporting Goods; etc.). They will be available over the counter at SCDNR offices located in Charleston, Clemson, Columbia (downtown and Farmers Market), Florence, and York after Aug. 1. Tags may be requested by phone after July 1 at 1-866-714-3611 or online at: http://dnr.sc.gov/purchase.html. Tags will not be mailed until early August.

Resident hunters who have active licenses/big game permits when deer season begins will automatically receive their base sets of tags about Aug. 1. Residents whose licenses/big game permits expire before deer season begins should renew their licenses/big game permits at least 7-10 days prior to the start of deer season to ensure their deer tags arrive in time via mail.

"Why Bruce?"
Go to Top of Page

poly ball

1664 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  10:37:55 AM  Show Profile Send poly ball a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Long time coming, glad its finally here.

Received my DQP info 2 weeks ago. 9 antlered, 35 non-antlered.

Most play by the property rules, but now a landowner has the most complete control of guests harvesting bucks.
Go to Top of Page

swampchicken
Intermediate Member

60 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  1:16:45 PM  Show Profile Send swampchicken a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by poly ball

Most play by the property rules, but now a landowner has the most complete control of guests harvesting bucks.

If you don't mind me asking Poly, how big is your property?

2000 Scout 175 Sportfish
Go to Top of Page

Edistodaniel

4895 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  2:02:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Edistodaniel an AOL message  Send Edistodaniel a Yahoo! Message Send Edistodaniel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cue the, "HOW AM I GONNA FEED MY FAMILY ON ONLY 16 DEER PER YEAR!!!!???"
Go to Top of Page

flyinghigh

934 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  2:27:59 PM  Show Profile Send flyinghigh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

until they pull the trigger.
Go to Top of Page

flyinghigh

934 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  2:30:39 PM  Show Profile Send flyinghigh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Edistodaniel

Cue the, "HOW AM I GONNA FEED MY FAMILY ON ONLY 16 DEER PER YEAR!!!!???"

simple- use their last tag and kill the 17th one. That should hold them.
Go to Top of Page

salty849

1754 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  2:43:59 PM  Show Profile Send salty849 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If your guests don't respect what you ask them to shoot and not shoot you might want to rethink your friendship. I've never doubted any of the 3 people I've let hunt.........
Go to Top of Page

poly ball

1664 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  3:50:43 PM  Show Profile Send poly ball a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3?
Go to Top of Page

poly ball

1664 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  3:56:12 PM  Show Profile Send poly ball a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flyinghigh

quote:

until they pull the trigger.

That's fine if they want to play that, but their ass will be leaving without a buck tag attached, and I know 2 wardens close by who would love to make an example. And hopefully they enjoyed time on property, cause they'd never come through the gate again.
Go to Top of Page

poly ball

1664 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  4:01:43 PM  Show Profile Send poly ball a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swampchicken

quote:

2000 Scout 175 Sportfish

1400 acres. My ADQP information has been well documented for the last 15+ years, I was told that was part of the decision in making totals for my property.
Go to Top of Page

Fred67

9264 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  6:17:22 PM  Show Profile Send Fred67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by swampchicken

quote:

2000 Scout 175 Sportfish

1400 acres. My ADQP information has been well documented for the last 15+ years, I was told that was part of the decision in making totals for my property.

If I round up a good pack of walkers can I do a thanksgiving hunt on your property?

Just kidding...... I'd only want to bring some small beagles. Just kidding again....

"Why Bruce?"
Go to Top of Page

flyinghigh

934 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  8:44:57 PM  Show Profile Send flyinghigh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So they killed the buck on your property and for reasons known only to you it wasn't "good" enough. You don't give them a tag and then you call the warden,who gets the ticket?
Go to Top of Page

swampchicken
Intermediate Member

60 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  08:39:55 AM  Show Profile Send swampchicken a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[/quote]1400 acres. My ADQP information has been well documented for the last 15+ years, I was told that was part of the decision in making totals for my property.
[/quote]

Thanks, I was just curious as we started practice QDM on our property about 6 years ago. Our tract is just slightly smaller than yours and last year we harvested 6 nice bucks and 28 does while letting a lot of questionable bucks walk.

2000 Scout 175 Sportfish
Go to Top of Page

Edistodaniel

4895 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  09:09:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Edistodaniel an AOL message  Send Edistodaniel a Yahoo! Message Send Edistodaniel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just want to shoot does anyway.....
Go to Top of Page

bangstick

508 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  1:16:22 PM  Show Profile Send bangstick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DNR was live on Facebook to discuss this topic.

https://www.facebook.com/lifesbetteroutdoors/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE

A step in the right direction, in my opinion.

No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how far you fall...you are never out of the fight.

Edited by - bangstick on 05/24/2017 1:20:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dawson

8 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2017 :  6:43:09 PM  Show Profile Send Dawson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've killed a few deer over the years, and while I don't necessarily disagree with the concept I think it's just more big brother telling you what you can and can't do with your own property. The renegade hunter laws and sensible enforcement would have done more to help.
Go to Top of Page

bangstick

508 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2017 :  08:06:17 AM  Show Profile Send bangstick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The land you own/lease is your "property," not the game that resides on it. Wild game is a natural resource and "property" of the state.

Discussions and public meetings about this topic have been going on for many years and the hunters themselves are the ones that have asked for new regs. Some wanted more while some wanted less. The number(s) the DNR and the General Assembly have approved are based on what the hunters have been asking for. The DNR didn't just pull these numbers out of thin air.

No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how far you fall...you are never out of the fight.
Go to Top of Page

Dawson

8 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2017 :  12:07:29 PM  Show Profile Send Dawson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And nothing the "state" has ever done was a bad thing.
In all seriousness I don't remember there being big support in the coastal counties seems was more in the upstate. I guess it's if you like more regulation or less. Doesn't matter now it's a done deal, will only be a year or two until they start to crank down the limits.
Go to Top of Page

bangstick

508 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2017 :  12:38:50 PM  Show Profile Send bangstick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best I can recall, while the support wasn't as high in the low country as it was in the upstate, it was still over 60% (upstate was over 93%). I'd call that a majority.

For me, it has nothing to do with liking more or less regulations. In fact, this new system has nothing to do with me at all. The DNR has a very unenviable and thankless job of trying to juggle managing the state's natural resources with the hunter's satisfaction/enjoyment. Personally, I wish they'd be allowed to do their job and only focus on the betterment of the state's natural resources. Who could ever imagine wildlife biologists being allow to manage the wildlife without criticism from every armchair backyard wildlife biologist and politician. No one, because it will never happen.

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000