Weather Recipes Search Charters Classifieds Sponsors YouTube Twitter Facebook FAQ's Calendar Resources CharlestonFishing.Com

a

b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Inshore Discussion
 Eye Jig heads
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Slim Shady
Intermediate Member

102 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  5:03:14 PM  Show Profile Send Slim Shady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok so a little bit of paint on a jighead is cheap, but now these ones with the taxidermy quality eye that are over $1.00 per jighead has got me thinking. Yeah the "trout eyes". At first my thoughts were ok this is like a gimmick. But then I'm seeing some reputable folks using them. I've caught A LOT of trout on plain lead color and I just don't see trout brains processing many characteristics about a swimming grub, it just seems more like a reaction bite. Shrimp don't have eyes and they gobble them up, I just can't see a trout enticed by an eye. However, there reason for this post is that I am open to the idea if someone can make a sustainable claim about this.

Optiker
SPONSOR

5470 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  5:31:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Optiker's Homepage Send Optiker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll chime in, as an owner of the business of course I'm biased.
No doubt you can catch just fine on a plain lead head, I have done so myself. Our thought going into this is that a fish keys in on an eye shape to make a split second decision of what is passing by is food or something else. So, we made a jig with the biggest eye possible. I really don't think the color makes a whole lot of difference, it's more the eye profile. For example, most inshore fish don't see the color red, same as a deer doesn't see hunter orange, yet the red eyes perform well. Probably because the fish sees the eye profile hue rather than color. The cost has to do with the components. The hook is a Mustad Ultrapoint, the best hook available, IMO, and not cheap. The eyes are not stickers, but 3D eyes. The designs are modeled in CAD and 3D printed, not molded with clay. We tried to make a top quality jig. I truly believe that the strikes I get are more aggressive using our jigs, and have thousands of customer testimonials as well. If you don't buy into it, that's cool. It's a local product and we appreciate your support, and I can assure you, the business is a not-for-profit, if you get my drift! If anyone is interested in coming by the shop we are at 7341B Peppermill Parkway and we will give you a tour. Thanks, Dave

Go to Top of Page

PeaPod

6335 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  5:41:21 PM  Show Profile Send PeaPod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
shrimp don't have eyes?

FWIW... I am a weekender and this is totally unscientific. I've fished em side by side with other jigheads many times. they simply catch more fish. the hooks are better and last longer. the business is local. the owners post on here and hold seminars to help you catch more fish. I'm ok spending a tiny bit more for a better product from a local business invested in us.

you get a big break for buying in bulk.

Go to Top of Page

Fred67

9264 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  6:11:30 PM  Show Profile Send Fred67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

shrimp don't have eyes?

FWIW... I am a weekender and this is totally unscientific. I've fished em side by side with other jigheads many times. they simply catch more fish. the hooks are better and last longer. the business is local. the owners post on here and hold seminars to help you catch more fish. I'm ok spending a tiny bit more for a better product from a local business invested in us.

you get a big break for buying in bulk.

What pp said. Optiter's probably caught more trout than most will ever catch.

Guess you've never seen a shrimp with it's head on?

"Why Bruce?"
Go to Top of Page

Easy

8998 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  6:42:04 PM  Show Profile Send Easy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang Slim, you riled the POD up some! I ain't seen him this mad since 23, called him a sissy name! You better stay out of dark ally's.
Go to Top of Page

Slim Shady
Intermediate Member

102 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  7:05:59 PM  Show Profile Send Slim Shady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes shrimp indeed have eyes. Not what I meant. I didn't realize this was a local business. Guy at tackle shop is always trying to get me to buy them. Ill give them a shot next time.
Go to Top of Page

bryson

429 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  09:34:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit bryson's Homepage Send bryson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I fish with them a lot and it's more than just the eyes for me. I do think they help when I'm using a paddle tail and just swimming it, but I also use them for other styles of fishing since I don't think they ever hurt anything.

Aside from the eyes, I like the keepers on them a lot. They work really well with the z-man lures, and most jig heads don't. They also seem to have pretty good quality hooks -- seems like they hit the balance pretty well, where they've got enough strength without being super thick wire. The local aspect is a big plus for me as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
1994 Hewes Redfisher 18, 2004 Yamaha 150 VMAX
Malibu X-Factor Kayak
Go to Top of Page

Apickett
Administrator

3105 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  09:48:37 AM  Show Profile Send Apickett a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I fish these exclusively now. I started because I wanted to support two local guys that I know, respect and consider good friends. I kept buying them because they are very good quality and they work well. As Bryson said I really like the keepers because I also fish a lot of Z-Man (another local company) and you will not have problems with the Z-Man baits sliding off this head. They are also a sponsor of this site that helps keep it free to use for all of our members and are investing in our local fishing community.
Go to Top of Page

SSFiero

366 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  10:00:39 AM  Show Profile Send SSFiero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Predators focus on they eye when they attack. Many fish have a false eye. That's what the redfish spot is. Here's a Bunch from a quick google search. The false eye is so the predator attacks towards the tail and the prey is more likely to escape.
Optiker,
While I'll agree the mustad hook is quality, theyre relatively cheap. I pay less than 15 cents per in quantities of 50. I use them in my jigs for myself.
I'm a huge fan of the trout eye jigs. The barbs are the best for all plastics but they really work better than anything I've used with the zman stuff.
As far as color, I use 2 colors. Red and unpainted. I might do a glow white for nighttime dock fishing.
Colored on the trout eye would be pointless since it's basically all eye.

10% of the people catch 90% of the fish.
Go to Top of Page

Surf or Fish
Intermediate Member

120 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  7:31:14 PM  Show Profile Send Surf or Fish a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've noticed the narrow profile creates a slight wobble or vibration when it's retrieved compared to a ball headed jig. They really hold soft plastic baits. I'm hooked. Get it?
Go to Top of Page

DFreedom
Prolific Poster

12712 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  7:47:36 PM  Show Profile Send DFreedom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see what you did there.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?
Go to Top of Page

Rick McGee
Intermediate Member

72 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2017 :  8:28:02 PM  Show Profile Send Rick McGee a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see on the website that an order of 50 pcs. or more drops the price to a buck each.....I'm down for a bulk order if anyone would like to go in and save some money.....just message me if interested.

2003 Key West 1720 Sportsman
2016 Ocean Kayak BG2
Go to Top of Page

bangstick

508 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  11:21:07 AM  Show Profile Send bangstick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You get what you pay for. Trout Eye jig heads boast great components (quality hook, 3D eye, great keeper) AND they're a local business. That combination makes them hard to beat. Add that to the science behind it and you have a no-miss product. There is a proven science to the eye, as some have already outlined, so to ignore that is simply irresponsible. The thing I respect the most about the product is Dave and Ralph are fishermen just like the rest of us (only better) so they know the applications and how the product relates to them. It's cliché but Trout Eye jig heads are built for fishermen by fishermen. You will not find any other jig heads in my boat, in my tackle boxes or in any of my fishing buddies' boats or tackle boxes and there's a reason for that...they simply out-perform any other jig head out there.

No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how far you fall...you are never out of the fight.

Edited by - bangstick on 05/23/2017 5:00:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

boatpoor

2753 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  4:33:48 PM  Show Profile Send boatpoor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it not what the spot on the redfish does? Iv'e caught them with scars on the tail by something bigger trying to eat them, thinking they were hitting the head! I totaly beleve the eye makes more differance than any color!!
Go to Top of Page

PeaPod

6335 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  4:35:03 PM  Show Profile Send PeaPod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I thought my post was a brown nose
Go to Top of Page

boatpoor

2753 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  4:45:58 PM  Show Profile Send boatpoor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't say I used them, in fact I make my own!
Go to Top of Page

PeaPod

6335 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  4:50:09 PM  Show Profile Send PeaPod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
that was directed at bangstick
Go to Top of Page

bangstick

508 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  4:58:48 PM  Show Profile Send bangstick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

And I thought my post was a brown nose

Don't sell yourself short! It was!

No matter how much it hurts, how dark it gets, or how far you fall...you are never out of the fight.
Go to Top of Page

Optiker
SPONSOR

5470 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  5:36:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Optiker's Homepage Send Optiker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone, not just the brown nosers :) We really appreciate your support, more than you know. We have a lot of good irons in the fire, will fill y'all in shortly.

PeaPod

6335 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  6:15:52 PM  Show Profile Send PeaPod a Private Message  Reply with Quote

like what? I mean if we're not insiders, who is? go ahead. we'll keep it on the DL. except 23. never trust him.
Go to Top of Page

Easy

8998 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  7:02:26 PM  Show Profile Send Easy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't blame him for keeping it quite! Remember the guy that stool Courtlands, idea I want to know what Courtland did to him
Go to Top of Page

DoubleN

2935 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  7:33:50 PM  Show Profile Send DoubleN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang, just saw this post.

Actually spoke to Opti (Dave)on the phone yesterday prior to placing an order for 50 jigheads plus several other items. Shared lots of helpful advice that he knows from personal experience.

Know a Trout and Red guru in Bft, and he loves those Jigheads!

Don't limit yourself to the salt either. Great in the freshwater for bass and stripers!

NN

Go to Top of Page

PeaPod

6335 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  8:37:13 PM  Show Profile Send PeaPod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Easy

I don't blame him for keeping it quite! Remember the guy that stool Courtlands, idea I want to know what Courtland did to him

Stold
Go to Top of Page

hwilcox

610 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  08:09:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwilcox's Homepage Send hwilcox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for the spot on the redfish tail, I'm not sure it is there so they can escape. Fish can't swim very well with their tail missing. I'm not sure that predators hit the tail thinking it's an eye. I've had LOTS of fish bitten in two while I was fighting them. It seems to me that a predator attacks the tail to immobilize its prey. These red snapper have no spots on their tails. EVERY red snapper I've had bitten looks just like these. Sharks bite off the tail and then come back for an easy meal.

Harold Wilcox
www.haroldshogwash.com
Go to Top of Page

boatpoor

2753 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  11:15:00 AM  Show Profile Send boatpoor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By law you have to return those ARS! Watch the swim away.
Go to Top of Page

Slim Shady
Intermediate Member

102 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  1:49:15 PM  Show Profile Send Slim Shady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The redfish's fake eye works when the redfish is idle, the attacker mistakenly processes the fake eye as the head of the fish, thus coming at the fish's head to attack what he thinks is the tail (notice that the redfish's real eye is hard to see). The redfish can then make a quick change in direction and get away because he sees the predator coming directly at him.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000