Weather Recipes Search Charters Classifieds Sponsors YouTube Twitter Facebook FAQ's Calendar Resources CharlestonFishing.Com

a

b

c

d

e

f

g

CharlestonFishing.Com
CharlestonFishing.Com
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Your Space
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CharlestonFishing.Com
 Inshore Reports
 Toadfish Grand Slam and an Escaped Sea Monster
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

C Michael Bergen

18 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  6:14:22 PM  Show Profile Send C Michael Bergen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fished the rising tide out of Folly today. Water temp was within a degree of 80 everywhere I fished. Caught 3 flounder, a redfish (the dinkiest dink- but still counts ((I think))), 4 sheepshead, a trout, and 3 toadfish.

All on minnows. No hits on vudu trout or redfish magic. Got a big hit on a 50lb class rod I had out in a hole back in a creek. Fought the villain for 8 minutes. Normally I would guess it was a ray but most rays I've caught have been a slower speed steady pull. This guy made powerful runs then stopped. Then ran some more. Then stopped. Came back toward me, then sat on the bottom. Had him on 50lb braid tied to 10 feet of 50lb big game and a 16" leader of 20lb flouro. Guess what broke? lol. The mono was heavily worn as well. Big bonnet head? I haven't caught one before but it's all I can come up with. Fought like a big redfish but I don't know how he would have messed up the mono like he did.

Man I was shaking when he broke the line. I was feeling pretty good about my chances of boating the beast, what with the big combo I had him on and the fact that the net made it into the boat today. ;)

Switched that flouro out for some more 50lb big game... next time!

fishboy

370 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  8:19:25 PM  Show Profile Send fishboy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably was a bonnet head. Lots of them in the folly this time of the year
Go to Top of Page

InshoreAngler

1011 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2017 :  8:46:49 PM  Show Profile Send InshoreAngler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep bonnet head's all over the Folly River.
Go to Top of Page

killinR

867 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2017 :  08:37:52 AM  Show Profile Send killinR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cownose rays make a long fast run also. If youve never caught one before theyll make you think youve got moby dick.

Capt. R. Killin
Sea Hooked Charters
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CharlestonFishing.Com © CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000