Moving to South Carolina

I have been informed that my job will be taking me to the South Carolina area. Looking for any information, suggestions or opinions on where the best place to depart to fish the offshore banks are. Also will not be bringing my boat, so what is the optimal boat that is used to fish offshore. Gents, any advice is much appreciated.
Replies

Originally posted by tridogs

Im a transplant from the south (New Orleans)and moved up here to the north 15 years ago.I have been pleasantly surprised how little pressure there is on the fishing here and those that do fish are often very informative and generous with the local fishing knowledge.

36 ft Yellowfin Yamaha Trip 300
27 ft Seahunt Yamaha Twin 200

I am very curious as to what part of the north you are referring to. All the fishing I have done up in Jersey it has had a lot of pressure especially when the striped bass are running and most all are very tight lipped as to where to fish.
I meant here to the north relative to south Louisiana. For the first few years living in South Carolina, I wasn't sure we hadn't moved to Ohio or New Jersey. Sorry for the confusion.quote]Originally posted by Myrtleman44

Im a transplant from the south (New Orleans)and moved up here to the north 15 years ago.I have been pleasantly surprised how little pressure there is on the fishing here and those that do fish are often very informative and generous with the local fishing knowledge.

I am very curious as to what part of the north you are referring to. All the fishing I have done up in Jersey it has had a lot of pressure especially when the striped bass are running and most all are very tight lipped as to where to fish.

Gotcha LOL First time I have ever heard of SC being north. Sorry for the laugh.
Originally posted by reellatitude

Ouch, kinda like a kidney? Moving to the Charleston area not sure anyone there actually is a "native" anymore. Im up north in Moncks so a few more natives up that way but man been coming to SC for a lot of years and its changed a lot.

I'm the fourth generation on my father's side, eighth on my mother's. I'm a Charleston native.

I'm tired of all the people moving here too, but can't blame them. I've been all over the world, and nothing beats this place. I'll die here.

"Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality." --Peepod 07-25-2017

Did all those people high five each other when you told him you were staying in South Carolina? Asking for 7cs.
I am new to this board, moved to Summerville from NC. Fished out of Morehead quite a bit.
Capt. Garry, thanks for providing the tips on fishing spots and addressing the newcomers questions !

After living in Texas for 16 years, 1990 to 2006, I came to learn that some Texans consider anyone who lives north of I-10 a yankee. That is a new perspective to ponder isn't it :)

2000 Trophy 2352
Summerville, SC
Originally posted by sman

I wonder how the southern man would be received up north if he couldn’t hack it down here and had to move up there?You know,if the shoe was on the other foot.

Having been forced into that situation, you won't get them to openly wave at you, but the Northern area i was in many great people if you took the time to get to know them. Maybe just a more reserved than a true raised Southerner.

Come to think of it, not many wave from behind the windshield like we all used to.

We get guides that complain when someone pulls to the same dock to fish, those kind of inconsiderate acts ( i agree with the guides... move on lots of water to fish) don't hold a candle to the fights that break out on the Jersy shores over stripers.....

Our fishing culture etiquette will only get worse as population grows
Last edited by Fred67
I lived in St Augustine for almost 20 Years. We accepted the I-4 corridor, Daytona to Tampa, as the borders between Georgia and New Jersey.
Welcome to Charleston. Been here since the day I saw first light and will die here. Lots of folks coming here. We only ask you to remember that here is here and there is there. Everyplace has a way about it that the locals prefer not to change.

I agree with a mix of offshore and inshore fishing. We are blessed with a great boating community.

As for boats, all this talk about center consoles makes me want to point out that a cat boat is a great option. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, look at a Freeman. That is one amazing fishing machine. If you budget restrained a World cat is a fine fishing platform. It is very comfortable offshore, can handle nasty weather all day and can get in very skinny water.

Like I said welcome to Charleston and I look forward to seeing y'all on the water.

World Cat 266SC
Scout 15.5
I've never lived in SC, but I'd like to. We visit Hilton Head several times every year. I've lived quite a few places: TX, GA, AL, small towns, big cities, overseas, etc. There are nice folks everywhere you go, and there are a few jerks everywhere you go. The first time I visited NYC, I thought people would be rude, but I was wrong. Actually, one guy was but I can do rude too and I did. Everyone else was really pleasant I thought...and I have an unmistakable Southern drawl.

I agree with the I-10 thing. Where I grew up, we considered people from Houston to be yankees. I couldn't care less anymore where someone is from. I generally like people that like people.

"You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body." - C.S. Lewis
Last edited by SurfFishLife