New Old Truck Project

Any of you guys remember driving around in one of these? This is my new project and I hope to document the progress here or lose all interest in 6 months and forget about it totally. This was a Christmas gift from my father-in-law. Its a 1972 GMC 1500 stepside pickup. 2wd, straight six, manual 3 on the tree, no A/C, no radio and has been sitting all alone for the last 35 years or so. Never wrecked, but has some major rust issues due to being stored outside on dirt under some oak trees. Everything is original minus the steering wheel. The original was broken somehow and a junkyard blue steering wheel was installed.

I've never tackled anything like this before. I'm certainly someone handy and can figure most things out, but I haven't restored a car/truck before.....at least not to this level. There's lots of elbow grease in my near future I'm sure and I plan to keep the truck as original as I can within reason. My agenda is to make it safe and functional first, then maybe make it pretty down the road. So far, I plan to:

Replace tires
Salvage original rims/dogdishes if possible
Gut interior saving whatever I can
Replace Front Grill/headlights
Replace hood
Replace/repair Driver's door
Replace/repair Passenger's door
New coils/shocks/suspension components
New brakes (drum rear/disc front)
New fuel tank/fuel lines
Carbeurator rebuild
I'm sure this will need motor work of some kind
New interior dash (cracked and rotten)
Refurbish if possible door panels
Driver's side window mechanism work
Passenger side door lock install
Possible aftermarket A/C--it is Charleston afterall!

These are the things I know about so far. I'm sure this list will grow dramatically. I've already purchased some tires to get this thing mobile. Step 1 of 1,986 complete! I will gladly take advice or work volunteers. bigsmile

"Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality." --Peepod 07-25-2017
Replies

How far did you make it on your project truck?

I picked this one up about a year ago and it hasn't moved since. I'm thinking doing the patina thing. I built a small block for it that's been sitting in the shop since August. This one came with a 250 six, running when parked about 12 years ago. 105, 000 miles on it if you want it when I get around to pulling it out.

Mine is currently a rolling chassis. I've already sourced a parts truck, motor, and transmission.

Hey sailfish, I see you said you have a motor. Just throwing this out there. We quit building ours and swapped to the 602 crate motor for the dirt track. $3800.00 and it's pretty much bullet proof. They are a "sealed" motor to keep racers from going into them and making it much easier now at Tech. they are advertised @ 350hp @5000 rpms on pump gas running a 650cfm. We continuously turn ours around 6400-6800 depending on what gear we are running. Never had an engine failure.

we have seen varying Hp on the dyno. I put timing @ 36* and have seen up to 370hp.. I know nothing outrageous, but still respectable for keeping in the rules. No warranty on this engine, but it is GM factory built using a new 4 bolt main and Vortec Heads with a square bore intake. Again we have three running in different cars with upwards of 1000 laps on one and beat the heck out of em... tough as nails.
My number hasn’t changed in case you’ve been trying to get in touch about this project.
This project just took a turn....let's see where it goes.

To quote Paul Harvey.
Inquiring minds want to know.
That motor looks awful lonely sitting on the floor by itself.
Stock???

You find things offensive.
I find things funny.
That's why I'm happier than you.

22 life's a day
Crate 350 with a mild cam. That with 3.73 gears will scoot this thing around town just fine I think. We're keeping the patina look on the truck. That's the plan right now. Everything is torn apart, so its time to finish cleaning, start painting, and reassembling soon!

standing by for updates

I believe in you. not sure about the others
standing by for updates

I believe in you. not sure about the othersOriginally posted by PeaPod

I believe in him Peepod. One thing for sure, Ricky can't tear it down much further... Only way to go now is back together. thumbsUp I'm hoping this will inspire me to finish up mine... Patina as well. Mines 10 years newer.. almost a twin though.

Anyone want the in line six out of it.. free to good home.
Another thing you might consider putting in your stock pond is some corn.

You never know who's gonna show up for dinner