New Old Truck Project

Any of you guys remember driving around in one of these? This is my new project and I hope to document the progress here or lose all interest in 6 months and forget about it totally. This was a Christmas gift from my father-in-law. Its a 1972 GMC 1500 stepside pickup. 2wd, straight six, manual 3 on the tree, no A/C, no radio and has been sitting all alone for the last 35 years or so. Never wrecked, but has some major rust issues due to being stored outside on dirt under some oak trees. Everything is original minus the steering wheel. The original was broken somehow and a junkyard blue steering wheel was installed.

I've never tackled anything like this before. I'm certainly someone handy and can figure most things out, but I haven't restored a car/truck before.....at least not to this level. There's lots of elbow grease in my near future I'm sure and I plan to keep the truck as original as I can within reason. My agenda is to make it safe and functional first, then maybe make it pretty down the road. So far, I plan to:

Replace tires
Salvage original rims/dogdishes if possible
Gut interior saving whatever I can
Replace Front Grill/headlights
Replace hood
Replace/repair Driver's door
Replace/repair Passenger's door
New coils/shocks/suspension components
New brakes (drum rear/disc front)
New fuel tank/fuel lines
Carbeurator rebuild
I'm sure this will need motor work of some kind
New interior dash (cracked and rotten)
Refurbish if possible door panels
Driver's side window mechanism work
Passenger side door lock install
Possible aftermarket A/C--it is Charleston afterall!

These are the things I know about so far. I'm sure this list will grow dramatically. I've already purchased some tires to get this thing mobile. Step 1 of 1,986 complete! I will gladly take advice or work volunteers. bigsmile

"Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality." --Peepod 07-25-2017
Replies

Originally posted by 23Sailfish

I'm actually considering getting a lower suspension than stock. They sell a kit that drops it 2" up front and 4" in the rear. It should help with handling and give it a more level look. Or I can just ride around with 500lbs of concrete in it all the time....either way.

Depending on what you do with her. Stance looks good, but then again those trucks look good lowered as well.smile

Ton's of aftermarket accessories for those old girls. The step side is what really sets it off to me.
Ricky my son & my dad are redoing a 57 Chevy truck & its been a labor of love & time consuming. You'll learn that Free All, not PB Blaster is the ticket for stuck nuts & bolts, etc

21 Contender
Originally posted by Tugted

Ricky my son & my dad are redoing a 57 Chevy truck & its been a labor of love & time consuming.

First off, that's amazing. I never got to do a project like this with my dad or my grandfather. That's a special moment in both of their lives that they'll never forget.

I'll try the FreeAll; thanks for the tip!

Originally posted by Tugted

Ricky my son & my dad are redoing a 57 Chevy truck & its been a labor of love & time consuming.

First off, that's amazing. I never got to do a project like this with my dad or my grandfather. That's a special moment in both of their lives that they'll never forget.

I'll try the FreeAll; thanks for the tip!

They took the bed off this weekend & they are in the process of renewing that. Once that is complete it will be his everyday truck up & down Clements Ferry to school & to work slinging nuggets at the Fil-A.

21 Contender
These are starting to come clean. Looking forward to the day I can actually paint these and reinstall on the truck. I'm trying to keep as much original as I can. Its tough when its just so easy to go buy new parts! Apparently these dog dishes are tough to find; the only online source I can find for them is $200 each! I'm probably going to need one extra; keep your eyes peeled for me.

This wasn't as bad as I anticipated, but a milestone nonetheless.

Last edited by 23sailfish-Administrator
Finding old parts can be tricky. I had a 65 Plymouth, everything was great except it needed a gas tank.Could not find one anywhere around here. I found one in Freeman Montana,and they shipped it to me. I will look at my old phone book and see if I can find the guys number. They were very kind and new their stuff.
Keep the pictures coming. We're rooting for you. Well not me. But some probably ate
There's a place on rivers Avenue that has hub caps. Don't know if they are still there, haven't been that way in a long time.

Double D.
I think that place on Rivers is Port City Radiators, by Piggley Wiggley Drive. That guy has got some stuff in there you won't find anywhere else.
Originally posted by PeaPod

Keep the pictures coming. We're rooting for you. Well not me. But some probably are

I am !!!

When was the last time it actually ran?