Building your own private pond

Has anyone done this or been a part of doing this?

Anyone that knows me knows I don't do things halfway. Before I get carried away, I'm looking for tips/tricks to not waste time, effort, and money. Is there anything you would or wouldn't do again?

-I have the land
-Pond size is about an acre 2-8' deep
-Planning on Bluegill, shellcracker, catfish, mosquito minnows, and eventually bass
-Structure in the pond-how much is too much?
-Will fish readily reproduce or do I need to facilitate this with structure?

"Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality." --Peepod 07-25-2017
Last edited by 23sailfish-Administrator
Replies

The gate I purchased a while back at one of those big equipment auctions in Kingstree. They are big and heavy and should outlive me! bigsmile

I added 100lbs of lime to the shooting lane to get started. I'm going to try it this year and see what happens. I'm sending soil samples of my big plots to Clemson. Its not worth it to me to do a test on this small area. I'm not moving anytime soon!

[/b][/i]Originally posted by 23sailfish-Administrator

Ten four on the soil sample. one suggestion if you have access. Run a middle buster or a good turn plow on the edge of the plowed area closest to the tall pines to cut their roots that Will be leeching your food plot. Rule of thumb, a pine will have roots out as far as they grow tall.

looks like you will have your hands full this next season on hunting stands to sit and a place to fish. You have the saltwater access wrapped up, now you will have fresh water as well. Those composite boards you used for your dock, do you predrill and then screw them down or can you just screw them down? My wooden deck is deteriorating and I want to do that route when redoing.
There's no shortage of animals I'm feeding lately.....

And yes Fred, for composite, you'll have to predrill those.