Building your own private pond

Has anyone done this or been a part of doing this?

Anyone that knows me knows I don't do things halfway. Before I get carried away, I'm looking for tips/tricks to not waste time, effort, and money. Is there anything you would or wouldn't do again?

-I have the land
-Pond size is about an acre 2-8' deep
-Planning on Bluegill, shellcracker, catfish, mosquito minnows, and eventually bass
-Structure in the pond-how much is too much?
-Will fish readily reproduce or do I need to facilitate this with structure?

"Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality." --Peepod 07-25-2017
Last edited by 23sailfish-Administrator
Replies

Good advice on the overflow and not too late. Shoot a grade and find your lowest point and cut a small swell with a little rip rap or go even lower and lay a 3-5" pipe. That should be plenty for that size pond.

Originally posted by Fred67

mostly enjoying this thread. can i get a ruling or a translation on Fred's post. reminds me of DaMoonsOriginally posted by PeaPod

LOL, thanks for the laugh Pea Pod, I had forgot about "DaMoons" I aint that bad.
On the cypress, if they are planted with out competition they will bush out instead of being tall with a little top. These are about 18 years old. I can dig you a few little ones if you ever want. If you're in Charleston I'd be willing to meet you half way (Jacksonboro or Cottageville?) in exchange for a rooting of that Mighty Fig tree. smile Cool things about planting trees, if you find you don't like were one's at they at least make good bonfire fuel.

And this was a bonus this morning, second cast with a top water plug. This Girl was just shy of 4lb. I need to thin more out.
I'll take you up on that offer Fred. Come out to the house when the figs get ripe and get you a cutting or ten and a bucket of figs. They should start to ripen in the new few weeks. I'm in Ravenel.

I set up the fish feeder this weekend and tested it out. Man is it nice. What would we do without technology? Probably have skinny fish! It says it holds 70lbs of feed; that's probably pretty dang close; I put a 50lb bag in and had some room left. The thrower throws the feed nicely about 30' or so, almost hitting the island!

And the automatic timer is super easy to use. I opted for the solar panel trickle charger. I'm done fighting batteries. The battery is like a mower battery. I'm well pleased with the construction of this feeder. Good hardware and sturdy angled legs. I wouldn't have any issues standing on top of this thing if I wanted to. By this time next summer, we'll be having a catfish fry!

And an added Bonus. Some of the bermuda that I spread out several weeks ago, finally started taking off a bit. That area was a test run, now I need to do the whole pond!

You might want to put a clip on that latch securing the top, I've had raccoons climb to the top, undo the clip, and climb in to feast. Wont take them long to figure it out.
Will do; good idea. Up close, it smells like dry dog food, so I'm sure they'll be able to smell it from a distance.

we'll set a time. I looked yesterday and saw a few small ones that didn't get rounduped. close to the water they should be ok to plant pretty much anytime. If they die, I'll get you some more. When are your figs usually ready? Don't need a bucket full, but I'll take a belly full. We quit making jelly and preserves.