Building your own private pond

Has anyone done this or been a part of doing this?

Anyone that knows me knows I don't do things halfway. Before I get carried away, I'm looking for tips/tricks to not waste time, effort, and money. Is there anything you would or wouldn't do again?

-I have the land
-Pond size is about an acre 2-8' deep
-Planning on Bluegill, shellcracker, catfish, mosquito minnows, and eventually bass
-Structure in the pond-how much is too much?
-Will fish readily reproduce or do I need to facilitate this with structure?

"Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality." --Peepod 07-25-2017
Last edited by 23Sailfish
Replies

August 2020

The first water started trickling in a few days later. Yes, I have my own island...

I've put some structure items in the pond, but I'd like to do more for the bluegill/shellcracker/mosquitofish population to help them thrive.

Some of you have seen this place and some haven't. I had about 20 acres cleared this past summer to make room for and pay for the pond plus a few other upgrades. I had the timber company leave all of my acorn bearing trees. I also plan to plant the rest in pines.

I planted the entire pond area with rye just to protect the soil over the winter. It was beautiful for several months, but is starting to brown up now as we approach the end of February. I've purchased a box blade and plan to really smooth it out as the water dries up, eventually using part of this area as my entry road to the property. Its like quicksand right now. But that's the plan: boxblade to smooth and then plant with grass. Once established, this will be another area I keep cut with the tractor, but I don't want one of those ponds you can't get to. I want the family to be able to get all the way around it and fish where ever they want.

Last edited by 23Sailfish
Now, finally full to the brim thanks to all of that rain recently. My island is completely covered up! It shouldn't stay this way though; it should probably be on average a foot below the top of the island I would imagine.

The deer like it too...

I've placed my fish on order. It seems everyone has an opinion on fish and quantities, but there is no set magical scenario. The fish companies disagree drastically with how many fish per acre DNR states, and then there's the discussion of fertilized vs. non fertilized. Unless you plan on harvesting a bunch of fish, which I don't, you are fine to go non fertilized. I really want a catch and release pond where we eat fish once in a while out of it. I've done a bunch of research and I ended up getting this spring:

400 bluegill
200 shellcracker
200 catfish
500 mosquitofish

Next spring, I'll order 100 largemouth bass. The idea is to give the smaller fish time to establish and reproduce maybe before introducing the top predator in the pond.

Thats real nice Clark,,,,(said in my best cousin Eddie voice)

Do you have pigs yet?

Why no crappie?

Last years Christmas trees make great structure for establishing panfish.

I have some trophy snapping turtles in my pond, maybe you need a breeding pair?

Ducks would be a nice addition, floating coop for safety. Just my 2cents

Looks great

Good idea having it clear all the way around,it helps when using a fly rod ,which is my favorite way to fish a pond.You should have made it deeper. I hope those ain’t Arkansas blue cats you puttin in there.Big limestone rocks will help start the food chain.Don’t let it get over populated which is easy to do in a pond that size.
Man, exotic ski trips, vintage cars and fancy train sets, now a private fishing pond. You live the life most (except Peapod) can only dream of.

As for your pond, SCDNR used to offer guidance, information, etc. on ponds and pond management. Not sure if they still do. I can call a friend if you'd like.

Like many here at CF, I eagerly await the massive 1st ANNUAL CF THROWDOWN at Ricky's pond. I hear Peapod has a new speedo.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?
Thats real nice Clark,,,,(said in my best cousin Eddie voice)

Do you have pigs yet?

Why no crappie?

Last years Christmas trees make great structure for establishing panfish.

I have some trophy snapping turtles in my pond, maybe you need a breeding pair?

Ducks would be a nice addition, floating coop for safety. Just my 2cents

Looks great

Originally posted by HEAD ADMINISTRATOR--Edisto Fisher
can't hide $$$