Building your own private pond

Has anyone done this or been a part of doing this?

Anyone that knows me knows I don't do things halfway. Before I get carried away, I'm looking for tips/tricks to not waste time, effort, and money. Is there anything you would or wouldn't do again?

-I have the land
-Pond size is about an acre 2-8' deep
-Planning on Bluegill, shellcracker, catfish, mosquito minnows, and eventually bass
-Structure in the pond-how much is too much?
-Will fish readily reproduce or do I need to facilitate this with structure?

"Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality." --Peepod 07-25-2017
Last edited by 23sailfish-Administrator
Replies

The figs are ripening now. It's going to be an all out war between the birds over the next few weeks.

Fred, let me know.

The figs are ripening now. It's going to be an all out war between the birds over the next few weeks.

Fred, let me know.

"Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality." --Peepod 07-25-2017Originally posted by 23sailfish-Administrator

They just put Dad on Hospice, so a bit sketchy this weekend. Maybe Sat afternoon or sunday mid day? I'll pm you my number if ya wanna give me a call or drop me a pin. Might have to leave a message, I'm in the White Hall area with poor phone service right now, then headed towards Mashawville (probably the worst phone coverage area around here. Ya want any Blueberry's if I have some good shoots? A little late in the year to plant but nothing lost. I might have some crype myertals as well. They might look good around your pond?
Man I'm sorry to hear about that. I know that has to be tough.

Handle your business and I'll be around whenever you have time. No worries. The figs should last for several weeks. And yes, I'd love blueberries! I don't turn down many plants!

Fred.
There's nothing anyone can say or do to make these times and easier. But we will keep you in our prayers.

You find things offensive.
I find things funny.
That's why I'm happier than you.

22 life's a day
Thanks for the well wishes. Dad had a bad time with Agent Orange. Back in 1981 they said he wouldn't make it 5 years. Well he showed them up. smile. Forget how many stints, two open heart surgeries, both carotid arteries cleaned out.. then the mini strokes started happening... then last year mom had him uptown and he went completely out with major stroke. She was .10 of a mile from hospital and they gave him the tPA (tissue plasminogen activator), Absolute miracle shot. With in seconds of the shot he came out of it. He still has a good mind, just a body unwilling to do much anymore. This Hospice thing is fantastic. Actually have two doctors that go around making house calls not to mention the nurses. It's taken a lot of burden off mom. We Boys have just got her to have a sit in watch dad so she can go out with the ladies in her Church group for some shopping, eating and gossip. smile He's lived a full life and is ready for his reward. Use kids are just not ready to let go...

He still won't talk about it but he was awarded a bronze star with a V device and several purple hearts + a lot more achievements during his 26 year military career.

It was bad when we had to talk him into not driving, then no more tractor or backhoe after several bad (but lucky) incidents, and then the kicker was selling off his cows.

To keep the private pond thing... this was him attempting to do something with one pond 1 1/2 years ago... we still aren't quite sure what he was up to.