Building your own private pond

Has anyone done this or been a part of doing this?

Anyone that knows me knows I don't do things halfway. Before I get carried away, I'm looking for tips/tricks to not waste time, effort, and money. Is there anything you would or wouldn't do again?

-I have the land
-Pond size is about an acre 2-8' deep
-Planning on Bluegill, shellcracker, catfish, mosquito minnows, and eventually bass
-Structure in the pond-how much is too much?
-Will fish readily reproduce or do I need to facilitate this with structure?

"Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality." --Peepod 07-25-2017
Last edited by 23sailfish-Administrator
Replies

Very cool Ricky.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?
Went and tried my luck with some nightcrawlers on Saturday morning and had some. Katie caught one 12" cat and miss three more! The hooks I used were just laying around in the truck so they are on the big side and I'm sure that's where the problem came in.

I've also been told if I really want to catch pond fish, to turn my feeder off a few days before. I'll have to try that in the future!

Went and tried my luck with some nightcrawlers on Saturday morning and had some. Katie caught one 12" cat and miss three more! The hooks I used were just laying around in the truck so they are on the big side and I'm sure that's where the problem came in.

I've also been told if I really want to catch pond fish, to turn my feeder off a few days before. I'll have to try that in the future!

"Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality." --Peepod 07-25-2017Originally posted by 23sailfish-Administrator

If you really want to catch them quick, wait for your timed feeder to go off and throw a cast net. .... Yes they will do better if ya hold off the feed for a couple of days from my experience. I just had a hard time convincing my wife that. She didn't want them to get hungry, thinks that's mean.
I've been working on my new entrance to the property off and on for the last year. This is the new entrance that will take you winding around the pond and back to the house eventually. Now fully automated and running on solar. This wasn't the easiest to install for me as I did the entire thing myself; it took some tweaking, but finally I understand how and why it works the way it does. I'm very happy with it. If you have an engineering/mechanical mindset, you'll have no problem with a similar setup. Price was actually very reasonable for what you get.

Ghost Controls https://ghostcontrols.com/

Original Entrance:

New Entrance:

And a side project that was installed yesterday as well! This is a new lane that I haven't hunted before, so I'm looking forward to it.

Solar panel on top, Control Box middle, and the battery storage box on the bottom.

Last edited by 23sailfish-Administrator
That's real nice! Something to be proud of for sureapprove, the gate is a nice touch. What all do you plan on stocking in there again, cant remember if it's been posted or not

When you have some time to kill, check out this guy's pond build. I've been watching since the beginning and it's been very interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeNjGeXtvqc

Fishing Nerd

"No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool... nothing else."

...well, some fishing too!
super nice ricky! Who did your gate for you? Looks super.

On your shooting lane, I bet a two nickles you'll need a good amount of lime to get stuff growing. To know for sure you can pick up some soil sample bags from Clemson ext. super cheap and takes all the guess work out what your soil may or may not need. We have a branch here in walterboro or if you want I can give you a few bags.

You gonna uproot from Charleston and move out this way? I would imagine you could get a Mint for your place in today's market!

check out the video stump posted... That old boy put some serious money in his pond, neat wildlife footage too. thanks for that one stump.
Catfish and bream right now. Hopefully bass at a later point.

The gate I purchased a while back at one of those big equipment auctions in Kingstree. They are big and heavy and should outlive me! bigsmile

I added 100lbs of lime to the shooting lane to get started. I'm going to try it this year and see what happens. I'm sending soil samples of my big plots to Clemson. Its not worth it to me to do a test on this small area. I'm not moving anytime soon!

Love that gate. Pretty sweet setup!

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?
Looking good!!!

NN