Anchoring offshore

Have located some pretty productive bottom numbers in 90-100ft towards Edisto Banks, but have never anchored, always drift. Conventional wisdom seems to hold for bigger/better fish such as keeper grouper, anchoring is more productive. Reckon it's time to mature a bit and try anchoring. Running a Lewmar windlass with 600ft rode - anything on the bottom in that area and depth on which I might lose my anchor?

Obviously you don't know the exact loc., but in general is the bottom out in the gen area hazardous to anchoring?
Last edited by ducowti
Replies

Maybe that explains why I have head up the a$$ itis. I've never stayed at a Holiday inn Express. Have stayed in the round Holiday inn once. Kind of dumpy couldn't even go out on the balcony door screwed shut. Real good breakfast though.
Wife was looking over my shoulder when I made the post last night. Then we got to talking about how much money I made on the head boats. I think they paid me $1.75 an hour or something like that. Usually made another 8 or $10 in tips. Was a tip bucket and we all split it.. Then maybe another 5 or $6 cleaning fish. The bigger kids would make 10 or $15. Nobody wanted the little kid to clean their fish except the cheap a$$es. It was kind of like an auction as people come off the boat bidding to clean their fish. Nowadays the boat charges by pound and they get the money..
I made enough money so when I turned 15 and got my license. I bought a 68 rally sport Camaro and not long after that a H2 750 Kawasaki. Mom wasn't happy camper over the bike.
Dang where did the time go.

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.

22 life's a dayOriginally posted by Off the chain

Yawn.......... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_BU5hR9gXEOriginally posted by poly ball

How PETULANT.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman
Maybe I should tell the story about the 4 titty dancers on a charter that didn't want tan lines. Hahaha...

I am fragile.
Not like a flower.
But like a bomb.

22 life's a day
I think there is only one coral reef in South Carolina Waters.
And I believe it's over a hundred miles offshore in about a 1000' of water. But very good point about not anchoring on a coral reef.Originally posted by Off the chain

Yes, it is a good point because lots of folks from other States read this forum and many folks from SC trailer and fish their personal boats in the FL/Keys.... Seems like I recall EF made a trip recently... Guess he forgot about that one... Haha...

RBF
Radicals Blame Foxitis

*** My valuable insight, wisdom, and truth is the inspiration for many signature lines, tantrums, and meltdowns...