Ideas for Florida Keys, staying at Ohio key

I've been given Jack (?) out of Marathon as a good guide 305-987-8952. Looking for one charter on Gulf side around Mangroves and one on the other side. Don't care for Tarpon, Looking for some meat fish to cook up not local around this area.

Anyone got suggestions? Gonna be the last week of June and first week of July. Carrying a big boat(30') and a war eagle (18') for the mangroves and exploring shallower areas. Staying at Ohio Key.

Looking at making the trip to Tortugas, anyone have experience going there and is it worth it?

Thanks in advance.
Replies

• >
  • >>
  • of 2 pages
No help here, but good for you!!

NN
I can only tell you who not to use for a guide. But I'm also jealous of the keys! We are going to the gulf coast side (Cedar Key area) around that same time frame for some snook and scallops if all goes well this year. Good luck Fred, have a blast!

Fishing Nerd

"No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool... nothing else."

...well, some fishing too!
Thank you. I've got my snorkel and mask ready.
I have a buddy in Florida that does rod/reel repair for a lot of the guides in west/south Florida. I'll get some names from him and pass them on.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?

All my fishing down there has been in the Islamorada area mainly for yellowtail on the reefs and some bottom fishing for grouper/snapper.

Last edited by DFreedom
You’re too old for snorkeling. Have fun and post ussome pictures
I have a buddy in Florida that does rod/reel repair for a lot of the guides in west/south Florida. I'll get some names from him and pass them on.

All my fishing down there has been in the Islamorada area mainly for yellowtail on the reefs and some bottom fishing for grouper/snapper.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?Originally posted by DFreedom

Fantastic! Looking for going out of Marathon. We have a few going down, Wife and I are going a day earlier and thinking of staying around Fort Lauderdale or Homestead... ? No rush taking our time, open to any suggestions for neat side stops. I remember many years ago, Homestead was kind of seedy not sure now?

Pea Pod... Never too old for Snorkeling! I even went out and got me some contacts because it is a bitkh to wear glasses in a mask. Even bought me some new flippers... my old ones were kind of dry rotted. They went in the burn barrel.

Don’t forget your speedo
Don’t forget your speedoOriginally posted by PeaPod

Wife told me next time I have to take off my socks. what you doing up so late?

Fred, here is one to try. I'll post any other names if/when I get them.

Jason at BestBet charters in Key Colony..

Not sure if he allows banana hammocks on the boat though.

Fred, I have made the trip to Fort Jefferson a number of times. The smallest boat was an 18 footer with a Chrysler motor (remember those). It can get rough near the Marquises. The old fort is something to see. The last time I was there Sports Illustrated was doing their swim suite photo shoot on the beach. I wore out a good set of binoculars just watching!
If you go on your own boat, just remember there is NOTHING you can buy. No water, gas, ice or anything. You need to take it with you. Camping is allowed on the beach and they DO have out houses.
If you don't want to take your own boat, there is a ferry or a float plane from Key West. Good snorkeling in the moat around the fort.

ZX

• >
  • >>
  • of 2 pages