Is it Offshore if you..

can see land but in 630ft of water? It's been a long time since I started a thread here, so here goes. Had some fun in Florida just a few miles offshore. Dolphin everywhere. Followed birds the first day and had more hookups on the Pink artificial than the freshly castnetted ballyhoo. On the very first hook up we left one in the water and had probably 20 around the boat. they wouldn't touch the ballyhoos pitched to them and then something spooked em off... Second day we found some birds on a large grass mat. Limited and left for some "inshore" fishing about 6 miles away. Learned some new methods from the guide that went with us. Find a hump in 30' tie a bag of chum off the stern make a couple of circles, anchor, and chum with rolled oats. Really. fish started coming to surface (the Blue parrot fish are beautiful and I actually hooked one for a heck of a fight) got our fill of yellowtail snapper using tiny chunks of left over ballyhoo, and after several cut offs finally I got what it was.. A Cero Mackerel, new to me, makes excellent sushi.

Replies

• <<
  • <
  • of 2 pages
"DF's democrat comment is hateful"

The truth is often painful.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?
What other fish does good for straight up sushi? I've done some wahoo and dolphin on the boat ceviche style but never straight up raw.

Originally posted by Fred67

The Yellowtail is probably the best for straight up sushi, as far as what you are/will-be catching that is legal.

I always thought the creo were kind of oily and fishy

Someone told me the little strawberry grouper, or speckled hinds were about the best boat ceviche a man can have,,,,,,,

Sashimi (raw fish) vs. Sushi...

https://lionfishsd.com/what-is-the-difference-between-sushi-and-sashimi/

RBF - Chief of Staff
Y'all as much as I love to fish and as many fish as I've caught and cleaned!and cooked!. I'm not much of a fish eater.
Shimmy, sushi whatever the heck you call it . Just can't do it. Went blue fin fishing with a boy!! 18 year old out of Oregon inlet years ago. We put one on the deck that was about 350. After we got her blood out and prepped. He hacked him a big old piece of cheek meat. With blood running down his chin. With the biggest smile you ever seen. he said in Japan that's a $10,000 piece of meat. I passed, kind of regret not trying it.
Got the fish off the boat and boat cleaned up. Waiting on somebody to pick up the fish. I told him I'd wait and give him a ride home. No man we're good I'm going to hang out anyway. I only live two blocks away. You want to go again next Friday night?? me,, Oh I'm all in... Cool I'll call you Wednesday after class...
The sushi thing triggered a forgotten memory. I could tell you many details of the trip. Flashback?? very detailed memories. But I can't remember the kid's name. I do remember boat slip number.

Kid got killed riding his bicycle home that night. I'm really glad I got the memory of that day. Can't believe I had forgotten it..
I'm 58. Things like that make you wonder why you get the privilege to still be here. Life is good. Live it

You find things offensive.
I find things funny.
That's why I'm happier than you.

22 life's a day
Bout time for barbawang to show up.

Eating fush out the water incurs risk...same as going out fushing in bad weather in a leaky boat.

"Sushi/Sashimi/Ceviche" RESTAURANT QUALITY is pre-frozen.

Tuna is safe...and some shellfush ... not requiring cold worm killing.

Hell, I like black bass out the water but Tuna is safer. Pick your poison...or your degree of risk tolerance.

And Fred, the mack looked good. In the future freeze it first unless you the only one eating it.

I wouldn't suggest eating Alamaco Jacks raw...or at all...most worms I ever seen consistently in any fush.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

Originally posted by mdaddy AJUDICATOR

Don't forget Nigiri... wink

https://www.southernliving.com/seafood/difference-between-sushi-sashimi-nigiri

RBF - Chief of Staff
Bout time for barbawang to show up.

Eating fush out the water incurs risk...same as going out fushing in bad weather in a leaky boat.

I did at least fillet with out opening gut cavity. I was a bit worried.. but sometimes what the heck.

I had heard that too.. keeps liability down on parasites is what i heard? Too many sue happy in the states.. But you can get it overseas right out the fish tank.

Tuna is safe...and some shellfush ... not requiring cold worm killing.

Have eaten many oysters and shrimp straight up raw . Never caught a tuna. Maybe one day. smile

Hell, I like black bass out the water but Tuna is safer. Pick your poison...or your degree of risk tolerance.

Back when you didn't have to throw so many BSB back because they are too small, we did many in a lime, onion, tomato, and pepper bath.

And Fred, the mack looked good. In the future freeze it first unless you the only one eating it.

I did semi freeze it first to make it easier to slice, I've heard mixed reactions on freezing killing all parasites. I've heard leave it frozen at least a week and others have told me you need 30 days? Barbawing? someone?

I wouldn't suggest eating Alamaco Jacks raw...or at all...most worms I ever seen consistently in any fush.

Specially the belly meat, I'm with you. I don't think I've ever butchered one and not seen worms. I'd never do one of those raw! and rarely fried.

The ENTER-NET FishermanOriginally posted by mdaddy AJUDICATOR

Thank you for all the input. I guess this thing is kind of like miss spelling a word. Y'all knew about sooshi /cevicie and what I was conveying. Life is Good, and I don't see myself in a Japanese restaurant worrying about the difference in terminology. smile

OTC, crazy the things that can trigger a lost memory. Smells do it for me more than anything else.

Maybe we can help stilhunter with some hunting reports in the next few months.

• <<
  • <
  • of 2 pages