Sheepshead Bait?

Hey everyone, I've now seen two Charleston fishing guides who've used a mossy barnacle concoction as bait when fishing for sheep on the jetties. One was a guide I hired several years back and the other was a video on YouTube. In that video, there was a one second clip of them scraping the bait off a rock somewhere...but it was too short to figure out where.

Is anyone familiar with this practice? Where would I go to find this bait? Once it cools off enough for the fiddlers to disappear, I would like to have a backup.

Here's a video of my last trip to the jetties looking for sheep. It's a 360 video...use your mouse to control where you're looking.

https://youtu.be/Lci4DYXKCZI
Last edited by PastorJ
Replies

• <<
  • <
  • of 2 pages
A fly is the last thing on my list of go-tos. I've throw a crab fly at easily 200 fish on the flats over the last ten years and never even a look.

Chunky or smooth? I don't want to look ridiculous.

"Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality." --Peepod 07-25-2017
The fella across the street from us as a kid used to tear up the sheep head.
He had some mason jars in his little old boat. I asked him what they were for.
Said he filled them with fiddler's used them as a lure ????
Figured he was pulling my leg.
He caught flounder Cherry Grove marsh around 12 lb. His son still has it on the wall with the newspaper clipping...

You find things offensive.
I find things funny.
That's why I'm happier than you.

22 life's a day
The bait in question is referred to as "sheepshead crack" - at least in my circles.
As usual, Mr Wang has it nailed

Best bait for large sheeps is oysters . Find some clusters . Shuck the green oysters . Put one or two on your hook . The largest sheephead we've caught were on oysters in January off the Folly bridge . Our joke after shucking the green oysters is that sheephead like human blood ( from barking our knuckles on the oyster shells )
A commercial fisherman was fishing in front of my dock ib St Aug years ago and was pulling in 5# sheeps on almost every cast and he was using a single mussel each time for bait

Hunting, fishing, and poker are my sports. Work when necessary.

• <<
  • <
  • of 2 pages