What wood? Charleston bench slats

Have several pair of iron end pieces for Charleston benches. Need to rip some new slats for seats and backs. No idea what wood to use. What say you? Oak? Teak (expensive)? Other?

Where to buy clear stock?

---------------------------
17' Henry O Hornet w/ Yamaha 115
26' Palmer Scott project hull
14' Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25
Last edited by PalmerScott
Replies

• >
  • >>
  • of 2 pages
I’m waiting on the answer to that one myself. There was a time that the slats were available at Royal Hardware on mt Pleasant And from Birlants on King st downtown Charleston

It is my hope that CFC can recover from the damage done by the trouble makers . I do not miss the vile name calling and insulting posters
Cedar.
I would go with cypress or Ipe if it were me. Cedar is not very hard and not as sound structurally. Cypress is pretty solid and fairly reasonable. Ipe would last a long time and is harder than cypress. You might also consider ripping some of that "man made" decking boards. I have made benches out of "trex" type deck boards and it works pretty good if there is sufficient support.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?
What would be the finished dimension of your slats?
If not too long, and narrow, I'd go with Yellow Pine. It's reasonable, strong, and readily available. I'd also stay away from composite materials, in this situation. You'd find, other than the "look", their performance would be very disappointing.

RBF

Robinette's Bend Forward
I would not considered of any type of composite material. Not really meant to spanned over 16 in. The best woods for this type of project come from South America. All of them going to be rather pricey. From $5 to $20+ a foot. Your i p e / ironwood, Brazilian redwood something along that line. Very water resistant, strong and aesthetically pleasing. Price wise yellow pine is probably your cheapest bet.
Another thing to think about is your thickness. In my opinion they do not look good made out of ¾ material.½to9/16 much nicer.

I reworked a pair several years ago.
Red oxide primer, finish paint, stainless steel fasteners & ironwood.
I probably could have purchased a pair cheaper . But mine turned out much nicer.

You find things offensive.
I find things funny.
That's why I'm happier than you.

22 life's a day
I just did this last spring. Used 1x2s and 1x1 red oak slats that I got from Home Depot. Cut them into 4 ft lengths. Rounded over the ends with a router. Painted the cast iron ends black and clear poly on the slats. Unfortunately, the clear poly didn't hold up very well to the elements. I think I will sand them and re-paint them Charleston green.
Last edited by sea tonic
sea tonic, those look great.

Priced some red oak. WOW. Something like $100 per bench to use that. Beautiful, but, pricey. If I only had one bench, that wouldn't be bad. But, for 4 benches, maybe 5 (if it is reclaim-able), getting a little pricey.

Considering using up some leftover 1708 biax and epoxy to laminate some pine. Could use some relatively soft wood and put a layer of fiber on the bottom face pretty easily. I think I could make that last a long time. Maybe even leave the wood bright/natural with clear epoxy and some UV additive.

'Still pondering... Thanks for the feedback/ideas.

---------------------------
17' Henry O Hornet w/ Yamaha 115
26' Palmer Scott project hull
14' Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25
I'm no expert in the area, but what about white oak....it is strong and will take a lot of flex before breaking.
Those look great fellas! I like the oak suggestion. Looking forward to updatesthumbsUp

Fishing Nerd

"No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool... nothing else."

...well, some fishing too!
Have several pair of iron end pieces for Charleston benches. Need to rip some new slats for seats and backs. No idea what wood to use. What say you? Oak? Teak (expensive)? Other?

Originally posted by PalmerScott

How many irons is several?

Are they all worth salvaging?

What length are you trying to make the benches?

How thick do you need the finished planed slats to be?

Do you have the ability to rip, plane, and finish 5/4 rough cut lumber to size?

If you answered yes to two or more of those questions I might have an idea.

I

• >
  • >>
  • of 2 pages