New Old Truck Project

CharlestonFishing.Com
https://www.charlestonfishing.com/forums/Topic/Posts/179909?pagenum=1
09/21/21 20:35

Topic

23sailfish-Administrator
New Old Truck Project
01/14/19 13:00

Any of you guys remember driving around in one of these? This is my new project and I hope to document the progress here or lose all interest in 6 months and forget about it totally. This was a Christmas gift from my father-in-law. Its a 1972 GMC 1500 stepside pickup. 2wd, straight six, manual 3 on the tree, no A/C, no radio and has been sitting all alone for the last 35 years or so. Never wrecked, but has some major rust issues due to being stored outside on dirt under some oak trees. Everything is original minus the steering wheel. The original was broken somehow and a junkyard blue steering wheel was installed.

I've never tackled anything like this before. I'm certainly someone handy and can figure most things out, but I haven't restored a car/truck before.....at least not to this level. There's lots of elbow grease in my near future I'm sure and I plan to keep the truck as original as I can within reason. My agenda is to make it safe and functional first, then maybe make it pretty down the road. So far, I plan to:

Replace tires
Salvage original rims/dogdishes if possible
Gut interior saving whatever I can
Replace Front Grill/headlights
Replace hood
Replace/repair Driver's door
Replace/repair Passenger's door
New coils/shocks/suspension components
New brakes (drum rear/disc front)
New fuel tank/fuel lines
Carbeurator rebuild
I'm sure this will need motor work of some kind
New interior dash (cracked and rotten)
Refurbish if possible door panels
Driver's side window mechanism work
Passenger side door lock install
Possible aftermarket A/C--it is Charleston afterall!

These are the things I know about so far. I'm sure this list will grow dramatically. I've already purchased some tires to get this thing mobile. Step 1 of 1,986 complete! I will gladly take advice or work volunteers. bigsmile

"Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality." --Peepod 07-25-2017

Replies ...

23sailfish-Administrator
01/14/19 13:25

Heading to the house

Original interior

As originally found

First wash in 35 years

Optiker
01/14/19 14:20

Looks like a good project truck Ricky. I owned a '66 F100 for about 5 yrs. Just didn't have the time to work on it like I wanted to. It sure was fun to drive. My boys learned how to drive manual with a 3 on the tree :)

You can find forums like CF.com but for "slicks" and newer 70s trucks, especially Chevys. Those guys are a wealth of knowledge. I learned a lot by hanging around a F100 slick forum. Its nice to have a vehicle that you can actually work on, no power nuthin!

Good luck with it

areeldrag
01/14/19 14:36

Buddy of mine has a 69 like that one, has a 383 stroker in it.
I HAD a 70 long bed 2wd with a 350 in it. It was my 1st vehicle & to this day still my favorite. I ended up getting rid of because I was hard up for $$.
Keep the updates coming, can't wait to see how it goes.
mdaddy
01/14/19 14:40

Frame integrity is number one.

Tools to do the different jobs.

Kinda like the train hobby...only bigger. Be careful, steel is unforgiving weight.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman
misslily
01/14/19 14:55

Hey Ricky,
$20,000 from now you are going to have a nice cruiser worth $16000. I've done several of these and mostly older models and never broken even.
However; you will have tons of fun along the way and bragging rights about doing the build. Best of luck.
George
Beavertail
01/14/19 15:18

Old girl does not look too bad, heavy rust/rot are restoration enemy number 1 and from the pictures I don’t see too much beyond the usual stuff.

The good news is that most parts are probably pretty available for it. I have a restored FJ-40 which cost a ton to restore because of parts cost and availability.

My 2¢ worth of advice: Double your budget, don’t expect it to ever be monetarily worth what you will have in it, don’t give up and you will be proud of it for a long time.
Bonzo72
01/14/19 18:00

Peapod was right, sheepshead reef...good luck with the rebuild...

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org
DFreedom
01/14/19 18:07

So have you given up trains already? Just asking for Peapod.

"Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It's Hand", but really, who cares?
sman
01/14/19 18:16

Nice father in law,he must like you a lot.Doesn’t seem to get rid of much . Good luck and there’s no shame in farming out some of the work in order to get it back on the road in a timely manner.
Fred67
01/14/19 19:58

Ditch the six, look into GM factory crate 350 with warranty. Look for a older 700R4 to help on fuel mileage and drivability, floor mounted shifter, power steering upgrade, I'd imagine drum brakes up front..? if so ditch em for disk,

I'd suggest first thing pull the bed off and look frame over good, For a piece of mind I'd replace all brake lines. That passenger side pillar will need some attention. Hit up LMC or Ebay for body panels. You can find a/c systems for that truck around $1500. http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cb/cb2b0.htm

Depending on how much body work MissLilly is probably pretty close to money mark.

After putting down some money numbers budget for more, You'll be amazed by the "little" stuff that comes up nickel and diming you. Don't get in a rush! Also think about just how original you want it and then don't rule out some modern gauges rather than the old factory stuff. They have original fit stuff out there, but it can be costly.

Keep us all posted! I've seen a few restoration projects that they actually incorporate the rusty old look into it. Not my taste, but popular in some groups.
Richard Beer Froth
01/14/19 20:23

Call Gas Monkey and get it done right...

RBF
Reelescape
01/15/19 4:26

I had one that same color back in the day.
Beavertail
01/15/19 7:59

Originally posted by Fred67

Ditch the six, look into GM factory crate 350 with warranty. Look for a older 700R4 to help on fuel mileage and drivability, floor mounted shifter, power steering upgrade, I'd imagine drum brakes up front..? if so ditch em for disk,

I'd suggest first thing pull the bed off and look frame over good, For a piece of mind I'd replace all brake lines. That passenger side pillar will need some attention. Hit up LMC or Ebay for body panels. You can find a/c systems for that truck around $1500. http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cb/cb2b0.htm

Depending on how much body work MissLilly is probably pretty close to money mark.

After putting down some money numbers budget for more, You'll be amazed by the "little" stuff that comes up nickel and diming you. Don't get in a rush! Also think about just how original you want it and then don't rule out some modern gauges rather than the old factory stuff. They have original fit stuff out there, but it can be costly.

Keep us all posted! I've seen a few restoration projects that they actually incorporate the rusty old look into it. Not my taste, but popular in some groups.

I guess this would not be Fred’s taste #128512;. I recently saw this monster in Ft Lauderdale, I must say it was pretty dang cool.

I hope the photo attachment works, first try at such.

Beavertail
01/15/19 8:01

Uh-oh, looks like I might have screwed things up.
Apickett
01/15/19 8:21

You've got this. All of your work with trains has led you to this very moment.
Fishb8
01/15/19 9:06

I love those old trucks. What is your plan? try to keep it original or just make it pretty?
I have an 1988 Jeep and getting used to the carborated engine is interesting. Can't just start it and go.

Good luck, looks like a fun project
Fred67
01/15/19 10:43

I guess this would not be Fred’s taste #128512;. I recently saw this monster in Ft Lauderdale, I must say it was pretty dang cool.

I hope the photo attachment works, first try at such.

Not gonna sport an anarchy symbol aroundsmile. Pretty neat but still don’t go for the rusted look. smile. Now that blown motor! That’s another story. Every ones going turbo and seem to be backing away from superchargers.
P-K
01/15/19 11:58

Don’t do anything to it until you have consulted with some real experts. There are a number in the area. the ‘patina’ look is in right now. Don’t screw this up. #129396;What does your brother in law think?
Richard Beer Froth
01/15/19 12:08

mdaddy
01/15/19 12:42

"Don’t do anything to it until you have consulted with some real experts. There are a number in the area..."

PEA PAD

RBF

Fill in the blanks

The ENTER-NET Fisherman
Richard Beer Froth
01/15/19 13:01

Originally posted by mdaddy

"Don’t do anything to it until you have consulted with some real experts. There are a number in the area..."

PEA PAD

RBF

Fill in the blanks

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

Here is most sound advice anyone could ever give... Have an "expert" appraise it... Then, sell it as is... Prolly get some decent coin, and then take the money and have fun, etc.

If someone's idea of fun is busting knuckles, finding parts, free labor, and using precious/limited time with something like this... Have at it... I did one when I was a teenager... Learned a lot about economics, time, etc. Never do another... Found out the best way to do one is find someone else that has it about 90% done, by it for 60% of the parts they "invested", and finish it...

If someone has never done it before, then they don't understand...

RBF
mdaddy
01/15/19 13:18

PEA PAD

RBF

Fill in the blanks

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

Here is most sound advice anyone could ever give... Have an "expert" appraise it... Then, sell it as is... Prolly get some decent coin, and then take the money and have fun, etc.

If someone's idea of fun is busting knuckles, finding parts, free labor, and using precious/limited time with something like this... Have at it... I did one when I was a teenager... Learned a lot about economics, time, etc. Never do another... Found out the best way to do one is find someone else that has it about 90% done, by it for 60% of the parts they "invested", and finish it...

If someone has never done it before, then they don't understand...

RBF

Way to bust a bubble.

23Sailfush is excited about fixing up his pa-in-laws truck and you taking the fun out of it.

I'm having envy problems with all the junk his pa-in-law had in the back of the truck and surrounding area. He may have me beat.

RBF, the HOA will shut this down rather quickly so you're dose of reality is misspent.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman
Richard Beer Froth
01/15/19 13:28

Way to bust a bubble.

23Sailfush is excited about fixing up his pa-in-laws truck and you taking the fun out of it.

I'm having envy problems with all the junk his pa-in-law had in the back of the truck and surrounding area. He may have me beat.

RBF, the HOA will shut this down rather quickly so you're dose of reality is misspent.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

Better to bust a bubble, than a wallet...

Honestly, just trying to help... 23SF is a grown man, and he will make his own decision regardless of my input. I was just offering a realistic perspective, and I would appreciate anyone that did so for me before I decided what to do...

RBF
P-K
01/15/19 15:36

Originally posted by P-K

Don’t do anything to it until you have consulted with some real experts. There are a number in the area. the ‘patina’ look is in right now. Don’t screw this up. #129396;What does your brother in law think?

thats not black paint/primer you sprayed on the hood, is it? please say it was like that when you picked it up and didnt do that ...
23sailfish-Administrator
01/16/19 13:09

Uhhhh, no. It was wet rust; it just looks black in that picture. The only thing I've done to the body is clean off 35 years of grime and dirt. Regardless of the patina, which I'm a fan of, the truck needs to be structurally sound. That's the plan first: Repair the major rust issues where it needs to be (there's rust holes in the firewall allowing water to leak into the cab as well as a bad passenger side pillar rust issue), and then make it drivable and safe.

mdaddy
01/16/19 15:13

Check out the swap shop:

https://charlestonfishing.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=179883

Get you rolling cheap...or buy a floor jack and a couple of cans of fix-a-flat.

Get those peeps out of your house that are living in 23Sailfishville and gets them to helps.

Show m this to get them fired up:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=1972+gmc+pickup+with+step+side&qpvt=1972+gmc+pickup+with+step+side&view=detail&mid=C00EAFDC4239DE570C4CC00EAFDC4239DE570C4C&&FORM=VRDGAR

You got me going with the great pics you took of the car show in Vegas. Have fun man and enjoy saving something that is a great work truck.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman
P-K
01/16/19 21:55

Originally posted by 23Sailfish

Uhhhh, no. It was wet rust; it just looks black in that picture. The only thing I've done to the body is clean off 35 years of grime and dirt. Regardless of the patina, which I'm a fan of, the truck needs to be structurally sound. That's the plan first: Repair the major rust issues where it needs to be (there's rust holes in the firewall allowing water to leak into the cab as well as a bad passenger side pillar rust issue), and then make it drivable and safe.

Uhhh, good. I have some friends that are big time in car restorations if you would like to a contact

PeaPod
01/19/19 11:04

<----preparing for more disappointment.

Lotta shadetree mechanic experts on here

sman
01/19/19 20:40

Originally posted by PeaPod

I gotta feeling 23 is gonna do this thing right. I remember all the things I did to impress my father in law.Mostly fights with members of the family he didn’t like.haha
Fred67
01/19/19 23:27

I gotta feeling 23 is gonna do this thing right. I remember all the things I did to impress my father in law.Mostly fights with members of the family he didn’t like.haha

Just finished a Golden Jubilee tractor for my father in law. It's been a 2 year labor of love...…

I love the shade tree experts. smile

What ever 23 decides to do, I'm sure it will be great.
Dragonslayer
01/21/19 14:32

Bump....is this project finished yet? What's the holdup? wink

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
mdaddy
01/21/19 23:55

Originally posted by Dragonslayer

Bump....is this project finished yet? What's the holdup? wink

There ya go. I been waiting for some life to this thread. White bread had more than 5 pages.

Tighten up and tell these peeps how to post pictures...after you post some more.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman
23sailfish-Administrator
01/22/19 10:30

She got new tires for the first time in over 40 years this weekend. These are the stock rims; I wirebrushed them, inspected and they looked pretty good. Repainted them and the truck is already starting to look more and more fresh. I plan to pull the rear end out next, then address the brake issues. This is the rear passenger side drum brake; it was locked up. When I finally got the drum off, you can tell that things have been siting for 40 years! I'll need to replace all the brake lines as well, so this is going to take me a little longer than anticipated. This truck has drum on the rear and disc up front and I plan to keep it that way.

I need to decide how much body work I'm really able to take on. The more I look at it and think about it, the right thing to do is to actually replace the entire sheetmetal part of the cab. So, I'm going to continue to do the underneath things on the truck like suspension and brakes and eventually go into the motor.

Rear Passenger side drum

23sailfish-Administrator
01/22/19 10:54

Front discs; this will all need to be replaced

12bolt rear end will need to be removed, inspected, cleaned

I'm going to try to salvage these; they should be white.

I was able to scrub and scrub and scrub to get the original bench seat looking almost new again. Needless to say, there was some incredible build up of grime on this thing. Going to keep this for now and reinstall at some point waaaay down the road when I figure out excatly where this truck is going to take me.

mdaddy
01/22/19 15:50

Very nice. You been a busy man. PB blaster on those brakes and some Fred Flinstone moves and you'll be stopping on a dime...with 9 cents change.

Thanks for sharing the rebuild.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman
boatpoor
01/22/19 16:25

Never owned an old truck with hubcaps! They must have been lost or stolen before I owned them. You are going to have a great build!
Fred67
01/23/19 6:12

You got lucky with that 12 bolt in a 1500 they usually came with a 10 bolt. Before ford 9" conversions the 12 bolt was chevy's best rear end. Just a suggestion on the rear brakes. Look into a disk conversion. Lots of kits out there and may be cheaper than all the parts you will need to do the drums.

When you pull the rear end take the cover off and inspect your ring gear. From sitting up and not circulating oil the upper half will sometimes rust from condensation. as long as it is not deep pitted you should have no problem. Freshen the oil and run it a few hundred miles and then drain and refill.
mdaddy
01/23/19 10:00

You got lucky with that 12 bolt in a 1500 they usually came with a 10 bolt. Before ford 9" conversions the 12 bolt was chevy's best rear end. Just a suggestion on the rear brakes. Look into a disk conversion. Lots of kits out there and may be cheaper than all the parts you will need to do the drums.

When you pull the rear end take the cover off and inspect your ring gear. From sitting up and not circulating oil the upper half will sometimes rust from condensation. as long as it is not deep pitted you should have no problem. Freshen the oil and run it a few hundred miles and then drain and refill.

Pro tip being given right here. My Grandmas truck was a GMC and hauled hay all day. She'd start out in first and go to 3rd when we went to town...less shifting. That's what I learned to drive in.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman
23sailfish-Administrator
01/23/19 12:48

When the tire was locked up, I was afraid that it could be a rear end problem from sitting so long. It never moved the entire time we drug it out and on and off of the trailer. I was very happy to see the axel spin by hand once I finally got the drum off.

23sailfish-Administrator
01/23/19 12:49

I'm actually considering getting a lower suspension than stock. They sell a kit that drops it 2" up front and 4" in the rear. It should help with handling and give it a more level look. Or I can just ride around with 500lbs of concrete in it all the time....either way.

Fred67
01/23/19 12:59

I'm actually considering getting a lower suspension than stock. They sell a kit that drops it 2" up front and 4" in the rear. It should help with handling and give it a more level look. Or I can just ride around with 500lbs of concrete in it all the time....either way.

Depending on what you do with her. Stance looks good, but then again those trucks look good lowered as well.smile

Ton's of aftermarket accessories for those old girls. The step side is what really sets it off to me.
Tugted
01/24/19 3:47

Ricky my son & my dad are redoing a 57 Chevy truck & its been a labor of love & time consuming. You'll learn that Free All, not PB Blaster is the ticket for stuck nuts & bolts, etc

21 Contender
23sailfish-Administrator
01/24/19 7:58

Originally posted by Tugted

Ricky my son & my dad are redoing a 57 Chevy truck & its been a labor of love & time consuming.

First off, that's amazing. I never got to do a project like this with my dad or my grandfather. That's a special moment in both of their lives that they'll never forget.

I'll try the FreeAll; thanks for the tip!

Tugted
01/28/19 0:44

Originally posted by Tugted

Ricky my son & my dad are redoing a 57 Chevy truck & its been a labor of love & time consuming.

First off, that's amazing. I never got to do a project like this with my dad or my grandfather. That's a special moment in both of their lives that they'll never forget.

I'll try the FreeAll; thanks for the tip!

They took the bed off this weekend & they are in the process of renewing that. Once that is complete it will be his everyday truck up & down Clements Ferry to school & to work slinging nuggets at the Fil-A.

21 Contender
23sailfish-Administrator
01/28/19 7:19

These are starting to come clean. Looking forward to the day I can actually paint these and reinstall on the truck. I'm trying to keep as much original as I can. Its tough when its just so easy to go buy new parts! Apparently these dog dishes are tough to find; the only online source I can find for them is $200 each! I'm probably going to need one extra; keep your eyes peeled for me.

This wasn't as bad as I anticipated, but a milestone nonetheless.

sophish
01/28/19 13:40

Finding old parts can be tricky. I had a 65 Plymouth, everything was great except it needed a gas tank.Could not find one anywhere around here. I found one in Freeman Montana,and they shipped it to me. I will look at my old phone book and see if I can find the guys number. They were very kind and new their stuff.
PeaPod
01/29/19 20:03

Keep the pictures coming. We're rooting for you. Well not me. But some probably ate
Double D
01/29/19 23:21

There's a place on rivers Avenue that has hub caps. Don't know if they are still there, haven't been that way in a long time.

Double D.
sophish
01/30/19 7:22

I think that place on Rivers is Port City Radiators, by Piggley Wiggley Drive. That guy has got some stuff in there you won't find anywhere else.
P-K
01/30/19 8:40

Keep the pictures coming. We're rooting for you. Well not me. But some probably are

I am !!!

When was the last time it actually ran?
P-K
01/30/19 12:04

Keep the pictures coming. We're rooting for you. Well not me. But some probably are

I am !!!

23sailfish-Administrator
01/30/19 12:15

I am !!!

1978. That's before I was born....

P-K
01/31/19 18:06

On Motor Trend channel now. Iron Resurrections

They are doing a fleet side like yours right now
Fred67
01/31/19 19:42

Dog food dishes! So true! I'm gonna have to go take a pic of one I have. smile Talking with a neighbor that has a 74 like yours that I have been trying to get for the past 15 years... If I do the hub caps are yours... free of charge.

Sounds like you are wanting to keep original and after you posted it sitting for 40 years, can you bar the engine over? If so pull the plugs and pour a mixture of half engine oil and transmission fluid in each hole. slowly bar engine over several times … then reinstall plugs just finger tight. once you get electrical all good to go and starter working pull plugs back out and spin engine over for a bit. That truck should be a points style system, look into an electronic distributor system. ( if not point gap about .18 and plug gap about .34) ish. Old school stuff and be glad to help point you in right direction. On the carb, should be a Rochester 1 barrel (?) probably find a complete carb for that truck as easy as rebuilding, or upgrade to a weber 2bl.

Is it a 250 six cyl? those were very common but maybe you got lucky and have the 292. You do have a 12 bolt which is uncommon, maybe you have the big six. smile
Reelescape
02/01/19 4:29

I rebuilt a '68 way back. Same color in and out as this. No A/C, 6cyl, 3 on the tree. Sold it to an older guy in Summerville area. Love the chains locking the tailgate.
23sailfish-Administrator
02/04/19 8:02

Got into the rear end this weekend and verified 3.73 gear. No metal in the fluid, gears looked good. Going to clean this thing up and reinstall once some new parts come in.

mdaddy
02/04/19 12:32

How many miles on that truck? The gears/teeth look great. I would imagine you know to look at the C clips. I learned about them when my bud threw an axle showing off.

They had a show on MOTORTREND this weekend on rear ends. It was pretty well done and they did it without extravagent tools.

Nice work and great rebuild.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman
Fred67
02/04/19 13:11

How many miles on that truck? The gears/teeth look great. I would imagine you know to look at the C clips. I learned about them when my bud threw an axle showing off.

They had a show on MOTORTREND this weekend on rear ends. It was pretty well done and they did it without extravagent tools.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

They look better than I expected after sitting so long. on the c clips, he should be just fine. They do make c clip eliminators for those that are going to be using it a little more aggressively. Now would be a nice time to put some kind of locker/limited slip in it . smile
PeaPod
02/04/19 19:53

Yeah don't forget to check the c clips. Also the blinker fluid, fetzer valves, and dipstick girth. Don't forget with that year it's all reinforced with ball bearings so you'll need plenty of 30 weight and gauze pads
mdaddy
02/04/19 22:51

Yeah don't forget to check the c clips. Also the blinker fluid, fetzer valves, and dipstick girth. Don't forget with that year it's all reinforced with ball bearings so you'll need plenty of 30 weight and gauze pads

Patagonia man. That rear end was prized by muscle car peeps back when gas was 0.25 a gallon.

They had slicks on road cars. Replaced by an electric golf cart with a stereo. Yuppie.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman
Fred67
02/05/19 6:27

At least we are trying to help peepad. smile Who cares if about the blinker fluid, when it runs out just stick your arm out the window.
23sailfish-Administrator
02/05/19 9:21

I gotta replace the rotary gerter on the incline first. Then I'll get to the rest of your list....

23sailfish-Administrator
02/05/19 9:22

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

Less than 1000......

mdaddy
02/05/19 9:35

The ENTER-NET Fisherman

Less than 1000......

That's what you told Pee Pad. I see used car/truck sales in your future.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman
skinneej
02/05/19 9:53

I'm just checking in to see if this new sheepshead reef has been deployed yet. Please make sure that I get the coordinates when that happens, but Ricky, we can just keep it between the two of us. You know guys like Peapod, Bonzo and the likes of those will just overfish it and junk it up.
23sailfish-Administrator
02/06/19 5:58

I'll gladly tell Peepod where it is. That man hasn't seen a fishing pole since the Clinton administration....

PeaPod
02/06/19 18:43

I've gotten laid, killed bambi, and jumped a poon more recently than you
StumpNocker
02/07/19 12:34

Brutal...

LOL

Fishing Nerd

"skilled labor isn't cheap, cheap labor isn't skilled"
23sailfish-Administrator
02/07/19 12:44

7 hours, 6 weeks, and more than five years ago.....

skinneej
02/07/19 20:51

How is getting laid different than jumping a poon?
Richard Beer Froth
02/07/19 21:35

Originally posted by skinneej

Taint any difference for straight dudes...

RBF
mdaddy
02/08/19 20:54

Originally posted by skinneej

Statistically speaking, getting laid would have a higher occurrence than jumping a poon in SC/Ga...unless you look like Pea Pod.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman
23sailfish-Administrator
02/14/19 8:31

After some serious cleaning, the original hubcaps have been painted. Letting them dry for a few days and then I'll clearcoat them. I'm debating on if I should paint the GMC red or leave it white......its supposed to be red, but I'm kinda digging the white letters for some reason. Nothing else on the truck will be red except for the badges and I'm thinking about removing those as well. I'll leave it up to a vote of the fine people of CF.com

Original Condition:

This is the nastiness that came off the original caps.

Handpainted

I'll do the forth one tomorrow night. One has rust issues; I'll still need an additional one so keep you eyes open for me. I don't care about the condition; I just need one extra.

hammurred
02/14/19 11:58

Red. It will stand out a bit. Looks great by the way!

B.O.A.T. Bust Out Another Thousand!

boatpoor
02/14/19 12:47

Just don't paint them Clemson orange!
mdaddy
02/14/19 13:53

I like the white...but red would match the Pods neck.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman
Fred67
02/15/19 13:30

get your model airplane paint out and go red then clear coat em.

the red imo will really stand out.
23sailfish-Administrator
03/11/19 7:55

I got some stuff completed this weekend....

23sailfish-Administrator
03/11/19 7:56

23sailfish-Administrator
03/11/19 8:01

I ordered new coils, front and back, and new shocks, front and back along with the coil cups, hardware, u-bolts, all that stuff. The front is being lowered one inch and the back is being lowered 3" to give it a little bit tighter stance. It should improve handling a bit too. Should be here this week sometime and I'll try to get it installed maybe by the following week. Too many projects right now! I'm behind on teh hunting property and clearing new lanes before it gets too hot!

The good news is the back half of the truck is almost done. The bad news is that the front half is much more difficult! I'll start looking for a replacement cab here soon.

23sailfish-Administrator
03/14/19 14:54

Rear brake lines installed and the rear axle is bolted back to the truck. Still waiting on the suspsension to be delivered, but I should have it installed by next weekend assuming no issues arise.

Suspension install, drum brakes assembled, and the back half of the truck will be complete.

I would have the entire brake line assembly complete, but LMC sent me the wrong tee. Contacted them today and hopefully I can get that part delivered. I don't want to use this old nasty one.

Fred67
03/14/19 19:19

Rear brake lines installed and the rear axle is bolted back to the truck. Still waiting on the suspsension to be delivered, but I should have it installed by next weekend assuming no issues arise.

Suspension install, drum brakes assembled, and the back half of the truck will be complete.

Looking good!
23sailfish-Administrator
03/18/19 8:54

Well, the suspension shipping was delayed, so hopefully it'll be here sometime this week to get installed.

I did however manage to pick up a good parts truck for the build on St Patrick's Day. Running and driving well, 1971 Chevrolet 2wd long bed truck. Clean title, all VINs matching. I drove it 50 miles to the house and no smoke and no hiccups, so I feel pretty good about this one. Yes, this one is a long bed, but for the parts I need, it doens't matter. I will be selling the other parts to pay for this purchase. The longbed is actually in great shape with minimal surface rust.

It has a 350 V-8 auto turbo hydramatic, 12 bolt rear end, power steering, aluminum radiator, good disc brakes up front, and maybe most importantly, a much much better cab and body parts for me to work with. Its already been sandblasted and prepped to a certain point. Interior isn't too bad either, but I plan to gut it and go in with new material I think. I'm going to park these side by side in the driveway and slowly remove parts, clean, paint as necessary and reinstall on the project truck.

The 350 has a leaky oilpan and intake and rear axle, but those are easy fixes once I pull the parts and start going through them.

I might drive it around town for a few weeks first before I start ripping it apart, so if you see me, wave with all your fingers! No muffler, so you'll probably hear me coming!

Optiker
03/18/19 10:26

Nice work Ricky. I was hoping to do all that stuff with my '66 F100 but due to a lack of available time I decided to sell. Maybe sometime in the future. Have fun!

Black Bart
03/18/19 11:24

Sooo...

You bought a SECOND old truck to fix up the FIRST old truck? Got it. Can't hide money, bubba...wink

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now..."
Optiker
03/18/19 11:35

^^ I know you're busting his chops BB, but that's the way to do it for sure. LMC route is $$$

23sailfish-Administrator
03/18/19 11:52

This truck was a steal for me.....I think I can sell off the parts I don't want and break even. Or better. I'll be selling the bed, 12 bolt rear end, front and rear bumpers, grill, toolbox, original rims, and frame if someone wants it. Plus I'm keeping the cab, doors, hood, fenders, motor/transmission, disc brakes for my build. Opti is right; buy those parts from LMC and it'll be 5-6K easy. The used cabs alone I've looked at are around the $1200 mark for a good one. 6k for a fiberglass new one. I think I made out well.

mdaddy
03/18/19 12:15

23Sailfishs' used truck emporium...Man you do some nice work.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman
Black Bart
03/18/19 12:33

Originally posted by Optiker

^^ I know you're busting his chops BB, but that's the way to do it for sure. LMC route is $$$

I'm just givin' Ricky Ricardo a hard time, since Saquatch (Skinee) is nowhere to be found. Y'all carry on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm not a hundred percent in love with your tone right now..."
PeaPod
03/19/19 20:26

Good point. Where is Sasquatch?
23sailfish-Administrator
03/20/19 11:19

Rapchizzle
03/22/19 7:50

Looks like a pretty sweet project. Let me know when you want to sell it
23sailfish-Administrator
03/22/19 8:19

I'll sell you the longbed.

The GMC has been in the family for 40+ years and I plan to keep it that way.

23sailfish-Administrator
04/01/19 10:40

New suspension components finally delivered on Friday.

Lowering the back 3" and the front 1".

After this, rear brake install, and then I can slap some tires on!

PeaPod
04/01/19 21:38

I'd go with the Lincolnville Squat
23sailfish-Administrator
04/02/19 10:17

I'd go with the Lincolnville Squat

Again, I don't care what you call your wife when she's not around, but I still think it isn't nice.

23sailfish-Administrator
04/12/19 8:29

Rear suspension is installed. New coils with 3" drop; I can already tell the stance is much lower than stock and I'm loving it.

Rear drum brakes rebuilt with all new parts.Drum brakes are intimidating at first, but once you build and rebuild several times (because you forget something), you get the hang of it. I can almost assembly these in my sleep now.

On to the front part of the truck next....here's where the real work begins. Rear tires are back on the ground hopefully for good. Its a good feeling to get the rear jack stands out and look at the truck standing up on her own.

mdaddy
04/12/19 10:22

For a layman, you do some beautiful work.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman
Double D
04/12/19 12:59

Just a thought for you, while the bed is off now would be a good time to do the wiring for the lights, that will make it easier than having to crawl underneath again. BTW that truck is looking very nice.

Double D.
Double D
04/12/19 12:59

Just a thought for you, while the bed is off now would be a good time to do the wiring for the lights, that will make it easier than having to crawl underneath again. BTW that truck is looking very nice.

Double D.
PeaPod
04/12/19 18:40

Have you ignored your tiny train world during the truck rebuild?
PeaPod
04/12/19 18:40

mdaddy
04/14/19 14:49

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxSgdVHWJoE

The ENTER-NET Fisherman
23sailfish-Administrator
04/15/19 9:12

For those of you wondering why I had to purchase a parts truck to help out this build....this is why. I've talked to several people about this project and they all said the same thing. Its not worth the time and effort and sweat to fix this. Its easier and cheaper to purchase another cab, so that's what I did. The more I dive into this one and see all the issues, the happier I am that I followed their advice.

23sailfish-Administrator
04/15/19 9:13

And yes, that's a rubby ducky overseeing the build.

Fred67
04/15/19 16:00

You made a good call. I wouldn't want a part of fixing that much cancer. I wouldn't have thought it was that bad from the first pics. You gonna pull the six out for the donor v8?
drterry
04/16/19 19:53

Wow, awesome thread, living vicariously through you, cant believe the progress you have made so quickly.

cheers

I'm not a Dr, those are my initials and I cant edit my user name. Please do not contact me regarding medical issues :)
drterry
04/16/19 19:55

Wow, awesome thread, living vicariously through you, cant believe the progress you have made so quickly.

cheers

I'm not a Dr, those are my initials and I cant edit my user name. Please do not contact me regarding medical issues :)
23sailfish-Administrator
04/18/19 13:10

You made a good call. I wouldn't want a part of fixing that much cancer. I wouldn't have thought it was that bad from the first pics. You gonna pull the six out for the donor v8?

Yes, the 6cyl is pretty rough. Once I pull the 350 out of the Chevy truck, I'm going to refresh slightly, clean, paint, and install in the GMC.

PeaPod
04/19/19 12:06

Originally posted by drterry

cheers

i'm living vicariously thru you
Dragonslayer
06/18/19 11:26

Any updates on this? Looking forward to seeing the progress on this cool project.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
Dragonslayer
07/24/19 19:53

OK, so I don’t know Ricky very well, (bought and sold a few things back and forth, but not really friends or anything), but what his lack of response on this tells me that either:
#1) He’s a lazy ass who just doesn’t care about finishing what he started or...
#2) Somehow, Peapod or Bonzo or some other derelict on this website has absconded with 23 and is keeping this from the general CF public.... or
#3) Elon Musk has recruited Ricky due to his amazing engineering gifts to work on the next Mars lander.

What is the most plausible explanation?

George Orwell
mdaddy
07/24/19 22:17

Originally posted by Dragonslayer

OK, so I don’t know Ricky very well, (bought and sold a few things back and forth, but not really friends or anything), but what his lack of response on this tells me that either:
#1) He’s a lazy ass who just doesn’t care about finishing what he started or...
#2) Somehow, Peapod or Bonzo or some other derelict on this website has absconded with 23 and is keeping this from the general CF public.... or
#3) Elon Musk has recruited Ricky due to his amazing engineering gifts to work on the next Mars lander.

What is the most plausible explanation?

George Orwell

#4 In jail...for Drunk and Disorderly in 23Sailfishville aka Rickyville (the train town he enslaved in his "man cave")

Cue the Twilight Zone music...

Or #5, He's laying in the driveway with an engine/transmission on top of him...and no one noticed!

The ENTER-NET Fisherman
PeaPod
07/25/19 9:00

you're both wrong. it's none of those.

Richard Beer Froth
07/25/19 18:50

Or #5, He's laying in the driveway with an engine/transmission on top of him...and no one noticed!

I am sure 23 was happy enough with just finally getting laid...

RBF
DFreedom
07/26/19 6:08

#6 - He's jet setting somewhere around the globe and will grace up with photos at some point.

#7 - He's attending the International Toy Train Festival in Sheboygan, WI.

PeaPod
07/26/19 19:47

Wow that smart-ass is thick in here
DFreedom
07/27/19 9:05

Ain't it though. Of course you knew that already.

sman
07/27/19 11:50

Wow that smart-ass is thick in here
I'm glad me and you aint like that.
23sailfish-Administrator
07/30/19 10:58

The prize goes to DFREEDOM!!!

I've been up North in Canada!! Eventually there will be a photoblog.....but I'm just too exhausted at the moment.

While the truck progress has been slightly delayed, it will start back up again shortly. I'm just finishing remodeling the place out at Smoaks (new floors, new kitchen, new bathrooms). Its been an ongoing project and I have about a month left to finish it up. Its almost there though!

PeaPod
07/30/19 17:05

But how many Tarpon have you jumped this season?
23sailfish-Administrator
08/01/19 11:25

But how many Tarpon have you jumped this season?

Twice as many as I have in the rest of my life..

Rapchizzle
08/02/19 8:23

Shoot me a PM with your as is price. I will handle the $2k to ship it to the VI

Don’t forget the deal I gave you on that bean bag
23sailfish-Administrator
08/02/19 13:04

Ruthless....

Rapchizzle
11/25/19 10:43

Time for an update
misslily
12/06/19 0:39

Just curious. Are there any shops around Charleston that specialize in this type of repair and restoration?
PeaPod
12/06/19 23:18

Any update on the tiny train village?
Rapchizzle
09/04/20 0:57

Looking forward to an update. My offer still stands
PeaPod
09/07/20 12:42

Rap, i think he's moved on. I'm guessing the truck project is sittin on flat, dry rotted tires, caked in tree sap. the tiny train village is probly 1" in dust serving as a shelf in the garage. he's got an attention span like that.
DFreedom
09/07/20 13:18

Ouch! Several of you guys have been absent, much speculation about where y'all have been and what y'all have been doing. Mdaddy has a theory.

Fred67
02/19/21 15:03

How far did you make it on your project truck?

I picked this one up about a year ago and it hasn't moved since. I'm thinking doing the patina thing. I built a small block for it that's been sitting in the shop since August. This one came with a 250 six, running when parked about 12 years ago. 105, 000 miles on it if you want it when I get around to pulling it out.

23sailfish-Administrator
02/19/21 16:27

Mine is currently a rolling chassis. I've already sourced a parts truck, motor, and transmission.

Fred67
02/19/21 19:28

Hey sailfish, I see you said you have a motor. Just throwing this out there. We quit building ours and swapped to the 602 crate motor for the dirt track. $3800.00 and it's pretty much bullet proof. They are a "sealed" motor to keep racers from going into them and making it much easier now at Tech. they are advertised @ 350hp @5000 rpms on pump gas running a 650cfm. We continuously turn ours around 6400-6800 depending on what gear we are running. Never had an engine failure.

we have seen varying Hp on the dyno. I put timing @ 36* and have seen up to 370hp.. I know nothing outrageous, but still respectable for keeping in the rules. No warranty on this engine, but it is GM factory built using a new 4 bolt main and Vortec Heads with a square bore intake. Again we have three running in different cars with upwards of 1000 laps on one and beat the heck out of em... tough as nails.
Rapchizzle
05/03/21 15:36

My number hasn’t changed in case you’ve been trying to get in touch about this project.
23sailfish-Administrator
07/19/21 11:53

This project just took a turn....let's see where it goes.

Off the chain
07/19/21 12:07

To quote Paul Harvey.
Inquiring minds want to know.
That motor looks awful lonely sitting on the floor by itself.
Stock???

You find things offensive.
I find things funny.
That's why I'm happier than you.

22 life's a day
23sailfish-Administrator
07/19/21 12:13

Crate 350 with a mild cam. That with 3.73 gears will scoot this thing around town just fine I think. We're keeping the patina look on the truck. That's the plan right now. Everything is torn apart, so its time to finish cleaning, start painting, and reassembling soon!

PeaPod
07/19/21 12:41

standing by for updates

I believe in you. not sure about the others
Fred67
07/19/21 13:33

standing by for updates

I believe in you. not sure about the othersOriginally posted by PeaPod

I believe in him Peepod. One thing for sure, Ricky can't tear it down much further... Only way to go now is back together. thumbsUp I'm hoping this will inspire me to finish up mine... Patina as well. Mines 10 years newer.. almost a twin though.

Anyone want the in line six out of it.. free to good home.
Edisto Fisher--Staff
07/19/21 20:31

Another thing you might consider putting in your stock pond is some corn.

You never know who's gonna show up for dinner

23sailfish-Administrator
07/20/21 12:06

Looking for opinions on the frame.

POR 15 or Eastwood products. What do the fine CF people prefer?

No, I'm not powder coating it.

mdaddy
07/22/21 3:30

standing by for updates

I believe in you. not sure about the othersOriginally posted by PeaPod
bel

What's this all about...

You thinks he's going to use Patagonya...on the seats???

Don't get you're hopes up...What about the peeps in "train town" aka Rickyville...they waiting on garbage pickup.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman
23sailfish-Administrator
07/26/21 15:13

Little by little.....

© CharlestonFishing.Com, LLC