Manchester, VT
Harrisburg, PA
Hershey, PA
Gettysburg, PA

"Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality." --Peepod 07-25-2017
Last edited by 23sailfish-Administrator
Replies

Wilson, NC
Home to Whirligig Park, a one of a kind art park in downtown historic Wilson created by one of its own residents to attract people to the town. Its certainly a site to see on a windy day. All the little parts move and bend with the slightest wind. Its really a site to see and a fun time for the family. We happened to be there during their Oktoberfest party and it looked like everyone from the town was there. Plenty of frauleins and lederhosen and beer and music.

Edenton, NC
A quaint little NC town with lots of local history and home to some great little shops and a lighthouse dating back to 1886, available to tour with a great view of the water.

For those that have never done it, its worth your while to experience going through the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel under the Chesapeake Bay. We did this to get to our next destination, Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. Home to a great old boardwalk dating back to 1873 with tons of bad for you food and great little shops.

On to Philly to try each of the "claimed" places to have originated the Philly Cheese steak. Pat's and Geno's, both across the street from each other and its hotly debated:

https://www.phillybite.com/index.php/travel/943-pat-s-vs-geno-s-philly-s-cheesesteak-debate#:~:text=But%20the%20real%20distinction%20is,or%20get%20one%20of%20each.

What do you need to know? Don't bother with either one; both are substandard to others that have perfected this delicious sandwich. "Jim's Steaks" is the place you want. Trust me. Very cool landmarks though.

And of course we did a lot of the touristy stuff here. American History comes alive in Philly, just look beyond the dirty city and people. And watch your wallet.

This picture was particularly interesting to me. The Liberty Bell used to travel the country and this is a scene from Charleston, proudly displayed in the Liberty Bell museum area, from the year 1902.

And of course no trip to Philly is complete without this....

More historical sites and fun. Katie actually had a 20 minute conversation with Betsy Ross...in character the entire time. It was fantastic.

From Philadelphia, we had to drive through New Jersey. By then, the truck was ready for a fill up and I reluctantly stopped there. NJ is a full service only state. You cannot pump your own gas there. Its ridiculous. Surly its a union job too. The guy comes over, takes my card, puts it in the machine, takes it out and hands it to me. Then asks what kind of fuel......and I stand there until its done. Then he comes over and puts the nozzle back in the pump and expects a tip.

Anyways, we stopped at Black Tom Island Park, better know I guess at Liberty State Park today, to catch a glimpse of Lady Liberty. Its actually the closest you can get without having a boat or taking a tour to Liberty Island. A fascinating story of the Black Tom explosion if you love American history can be found here:

https://untappedcities.com/2021/07/30/black-tom-explosion-1916/

Stopped along the way to check out the cliff walk in Newport, Rhode Island. There's certainly no shortage of money here. The mansions on the cliff walk make the Charleston Battery look like Myrtle Beach Condos in price comparisons. Currently there's one for sale for the bargain price of $29Mil. Its also where the famous "Breakers" house is just a quick stroll down from the "Gatsby" house used in the Redford flick from years ago. Just incredible and well worth the trip; you can tour many of these homes along this 3.5 mile stretch of Americana.

http://www.cliffwalk.com/

Next stop was Plymouth Rock, MA. There is essentially only a few hours worth of exploration here at most. Yes, the rock is still there and believed to be the original rock the pilgrims stepped off on, although its been chipped off for souvenirs for a hundred years or so before the town decided to protect it. It was also broken in two when they tried to move it; it was repaired with cement like material and that's when they carved "1620" in it. There's also a "Mayflower II," a reproduction, supposedly a very good one, at this location that you can board and tour for a fee. The Mayflower is surprisingly smaller than I anticipated. The rock is free to see and is protected by an overly built granite structure that looks like it belongs more in Rome than on the Eastern coast of the United States, but nonetheless, its an important part of our American history and worthy to see.

Not everyone agrees with the celebration of this....

Off to Boston!! The "Cheers" bar sign is there....but that's all it is. And there's a elementary school that lets out there and people double park like madmen at letting out time, so if this is on your list, plan accordingly. Parking in Boston is pretty tough if you have a full sized vehicle. If you're in a sedan or small SUV, you'll find parking relatively easy. Park and follow the "Freedom Trail," a path marked throughout the heart of the city that takes you to 16 historical sites. You can do this in a day if you'd like, but if you are a history buff, certainly extend it to two days.

The Old North Church

Boston Skinny House, built out of spite for what the owner believed was government permits overreach. Its less than 10 feet wide.

https://www.today.com/home/famous-skinny-house-boston-sale-1-2-million-see-inside-t227963

A true American

Paul Revere's Home

A quick stop in to Cogswell's Grant. Katie is a 14th generation Cogswell and her ancestors can be dated through this property and back to England. It was actually an emotional tour and very enlightening. Structures on the property date to early 1700s.

https://www.historicnewengland.org/property/cogswells-grant/

If you want to party, go to Salem, MA in October. We were unprepared for some of the sights we saw, but for the most part, everyone was there just looking to have a great time. Never a dull moment I can assure you of that.

From Salem, we made our way up to Portland Maine for the night, then off to see the leaves changing colors in the most northern American states. For New Hampshire and Vermont, you want to be there early to mid October for the peak leaf changing. You don't care, but you're wives will thank me. We made our way through Conway, New Hampshire and on to the kancamagus highway. This is similar to the Blue Ridge Parkway with lots of overlooks and scenic stops along the way. Do not take this route if you're in a hurry. Depending on the time of day in October, this 56 mile stretch of natural beauty can take you several hours, as many as four on a busy day.

https://kancamagushighway.com/

We stopped in to check on the bears at Clark's Trading Post in Lincoln, NH, who have been on site here for nearly 100 years. Beware of the Wolfman!!

https://clarksbears.com/

And the truck got good fuel mileage coming through the mountains....

More to come.......

A random oddity

And no shortage of these were consumed:

From there, we strolled through mountain town after mountain town. Lincoln, Lebanon, Weston, Manchester to Arlington. We stayed in Arlington, VT at a converted Bed and Breakfast Inn that was formerly Norman Rockwell's home. The wife could not have been more excited.

Yes, I flyfished. No, I caught nothing!!

Rockwell's studio where he painted some of his most famous works.....all the "freedoms" were painted in this very spot.

In Manchester is the Flagship Orvis store where they have trophy sized brown and rainbows just lazily swimming around waiting for people to hand feed them.

This stuff was everywhere in Vermont....on store fronts.

Heading back south, we stopped in to Cooperstown, NY to see the baseball Hall of Fame. Its something I've always wanted to do and it did not dissapoint. I had chills for most of the time I was there. And FYI, northern and western New York is beautiful.

Doubleday Field, where the game was invented.

An original Rockwell in the Baseball HOF:

Chills

From there, we headed further south to Harrisburg. Went to Hershey Park one day; we're all just grown up kids.

And our final stop along the way was to this hallowed ground. Truly an amazing place that you owe it to yourself to see.

And then I passed Peapod's new boat on I95.

Thanks for taking the time to put that together..Great story very well put together..

You find things offensive.
I find things funny.
That's why I'm happier than you.

22 life's a day
I really enjoyed this, thank you. As some of you may know, I'm from Western NY and moved here from Northern NY. It's probably the most beautiful place in the country in early Oct. My wife and I were married in early Oct near the Adirondack park during peak foliage. I don't get back there much any more so it was nice to see all these pics.

I really enjoyed this, thank you. As some of you may know, I'm from Western NY and moved here from Northern NY. It's probably the most beautiful place in the country in early Oct. My wife and I were married in early Oct near the Adirondack park during peak foliage. I don't get back there much any more so it was nice to see all these pics.

Originally posted by Optiker

Its only a quick trip up the coast Opti!

I've fished several great North American River systems from the Blackfoot River in Montana to the Kenai in Alaska for big salmon and the Battenkill in Vermont is right up there with them. Its not uncommon for anglers to pull 20+ inch brown trout out from it. Certainly worth bringing your waders and sparing a day of walking on slippery rocks in pristine country if you're around.

Next time, I will hire a guide. I get lots of satisfaction out of figuring it out on my own, but when that's unsuccessful, its discouraging. But how bad can it be? I'm fishing in waters that Norman Rockwell waded throwing a dry fly. Nowadays, people are using big streamers and catching big heathly brownies.

It's funny, the entire time I lived in that area, fly fishing never really crossed my mind. In the neighborhood I grew up in, a cranky old man had a pond that was actually a dammed up tributary of Lake Ontario. This pond had the most aggressive largemouth I've ever seen to this day, and we used to climb a tree and see a mysterious fish rising and gulp air every 10 min or so. It was in a deep pocket where the main flow was in the middle of the pond. Well, one day my buddy Casey caught it! We knew it was a trout but thats about it. In hindsight it was a giant, in my memory about 26" brown trout. Sad part was he released it by trying to throw it toward open water and it landed in the heavy weed mat and dove down into it and most likely suffocated by getting stuck. Even then we were pretty upset about it.

My cousins still live in Rochester, and are avid fly fishermen. They have a binder full of pics of huge steelhead they have caught on spey rods.

Anyway, I digress...

Let's go fishing sometime. I no longer coach track, but I'm about as busy as ever...

Thanks for sharing your trip. I couldn't make it to the end of the street with my wife in the car.

The ENTER-NET Fisherman
Thanks for sharing your trip. I couldn't make it to the end of the street with my wife in the car.

The ENTER-NET FishermanOriginally posted by mdaddy

That's hilarious...
I bought my wife a Kindle fire a few years ago. Best $200 I ever spent . She reads a lot. She reads anywhere from 5 to 10 books a month.
She tells everyone she can't stand to watch my driving so she keeps her nose in a book. Yeah she occasionally thinks there's a brake pedal on the passenger side...

You find things offensive.
I find things funny.
That's why I'm happier than you.

22 life's a day